Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,536   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 project

Shooter
    Multi Format

11x14 project

A lot of you have helped me out sharing your wisdom and suggestions in planing my 11x14. So, I thought that I should give you guys an update with my progress.

So far its been mostly a cabinet project. Nothing to exacting. As you can see I've got a long ways to go but there might be a little glimmer of hope. It was kinda nice to see it on the tripod for the first time.

Its at about 11 pounds as you see it, so I might be able to move it without a fork lift when its done. So far I've used mostly junk around the house, but I'm going to have to start looking for some knobs and gears pretty soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11x14 first tripod mount.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Looking good Tim,

Remember places like McMaster-Carr.com are your friends.

Just do a search on knobs, for example.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert, McMaster Carr is where I plan to get the gear racks and knobs. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I wanted to wait till I could figure out what all I needed so I could just do it all in one order. I had used them for my 4x5 parts, they have a pretty amazing inventory.

I have found that the fewer boxes the ups man drops off, the better it is for domestic harmony.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Another source to compare is www.ReidSupply.com. Dick Phillips of RH Phillips cameras suggested them to me when I was looking for parts.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, thanks for the link. They didnt seem to have as good a selection in the small light duty gear rack area, but they have got a ton of knobs.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tim, awesome looking so far. Nice job on the metal parts. Did you fabricate them yourself? It is well worth the effort. 11x14 is a great image size.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim,

Yes I did the metal work. I have a little mill drill machine, and for this stuff it works just fine. The aluminum cuts pretty easy, and most everything is made from pretty standard shapes. Although I have to admit, I'm a bit of a scrounge. I made the rear swing plate from an I beam that I saved from a patio cover I took down at work, and a couple shapes did come from the dumpster.

Might be a good name for the camera, Dumpster Diver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That sure is a beauty, my compliments! I'm sure it will satisfy you from the looks of things.
    regards
    Erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Erik.

Its like cutting wood it warms you twice. I think I get as much enjoyment out of the build as the photo process.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes the build is always fun. For me it is when I get to the finish and polishing part. Love cutting and shaping, but sanding and polishing wood is the best. I finished my front bed last night and it looks good.

Jim

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin