Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,469   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How do you carry it?

I got bit by an 8x20 ULF bug 15 years ago and went berserk adding lenses, film holders, tripods, umbrellas, and every sort of accessory. I even made an aluminum 90 degree tripod adapter that will let me mount my 8x20 Canham vertically !!!. And I'm selling my 8x20 enlarger lamp house because I can't handle marketing monster Fine Art photos at art fairs any more. (See my latest classified ad)

I have been blessed with a wife that cheers me on and helps lug all this stuff around. But now, 15 years later, our bones are complaining and the fun and adventure is getting dulled by our physical limitations.

How do you carry your stuff? How far do you go from your car? Any hints on easily transported "trollies"? Any photos/hints of your solutions?

When we were young sprats we would backpack in the Western mountains for a week at a time with 40+ pound backpacks. But those days are over, so any suggestions about backpacking an 8x20 will fall on deaf ears...

It's just too much fun being a couple of old fossils with this monster camera, rubbing elbows out on the streets with people who have forgotten the rich legacy of film photography.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reinhold (and Judy)

See the two of us here...
    www.classicBWphoto.com
    Last edited by Reinhold; 01-17-2011 at 10:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends, not the diapers, but on your age and results of your Deca Scan.

The very best,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Many photographers are using the jogging strollers. I know there have been several posts on this subject. I'm going to have to look into this myself. At 60 I'm still packing my 8x20, 11x14 and 8x10 cameras. My problem is that I have to get one of those strollers or something because I'm not going to put the 14x17 I'm building on my back!

It is nice to see that you are still out there shooting film. An 8x20 enlarger? Wow!!

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Reinhold....I have posted this before, but you might have not seen it. It is a large Samsonite suitcase with the small wheels removed and some large tube type tires attached to an installed axle. It is holding a Lotus 12x20 and I can also put 4 holders in the top zippered opening. Bag of lenses and a tripod and it is good to go all day....................TW

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Reinhold, Like Jim, I am in my 60's.
    I have owned my 12x20 Korona for about 18 years now.
    For the past 3 years I have used a jogging stroller to push the camera around.
    Some pros to the jogging stroller are, it's easy to fold up, and on mine, the wheels slide off for easy packing and it is light weight.
    The con is one needs to be careful about the center of gravity of the stroller, it will fall over backwards if I don't have the load centered. Also, in some rare cases I have been told I cannot take the stroller off road in a national park. An example of this is at Mono Lake, a ranger told me I could use the stroller on the wooden pathway leading down to the shoreline but I was not allowed to use the stroller off the pathway, so I carried the camera to the location I wanted. I won't do that again.

if you can, try to borrow or rent different trollies and try them out to see what works best for you.
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Reinhold,

Here is a thread on the subject on the LF Forum. I'm in there post #12 with a babyjogger and my 7x17. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=Jogger

A lot depends on the terrain you want to cover. Over a few years I've done a series of 150 contact prints of the OH & Erie Canal. This means a towpath and easy walking. I can push the rig out two miles from the car and then back.

Look through the whole thread. There are lots of different approaches. One or a combination of a few may fit you needs. Glad to see you are still trying. When you stop trying it all falls apart.

Here is a Jack London piece on attitude.
    “I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was given a folding wheelchair by a friend. I've modified it to carry a pair of Calumet 4x5's(mine and my daughters) and all other gear plus three tripods(two Tiltalls for 4x5's and a Slik for MF camera). It folds easily into the rear of my grand cherokee, since I am disabled I have privelege of using an HC space to unload everywhere we go. The large diameter wheels make it easy to push on trails or around town.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ford F-150XL with extended cab, V-6 for gas milage. I carrie a dolly in the truck and someone under 30. I think they are called "internse" or something like that. I think it means "will-work-for-free-to-learn-from-old-fossels", and not to be confused with sons, daughters or sons-in-laws or daughter-in-laws. This year I'm thinking of getting a Lama or two.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've got some photos posted in that same thread on the LFPF that John Powers described. I also use a Honda Ridgeline pickup truck. The essential information is you need big wheels. The larger the wheel the easier it is to push pull or whatever. My first effort at a cart was to modify an old golf cart. That worked but not as well as my current solution. Keep on truckin.......

Pack mule. Or donkey (if you want to leave a smaller carbon footprint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin