Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,653   Online: 788

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paper size for 11x14 negative

I'm about to order the Lodima paper for contact print. Should I buy the 11x14 or the bigger size?
    What size should I buy the paper for Pt/Pd?

Thanks,
    TN

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TN98 View Post
    I'm about to order the Lodima paper for contact print. Should I buy the 11x14 or the bigger size?
    What size should I buy the paper for Pt/Pd?

Thanks,
    TN
    If it's for contact printing a sheet that's 11x14 then I would think it comes down to whether you want borders on your final print or not. Buy the larger size if you want borders - or you could always mount the final print. A larger size would also give you some room to play with, without having to crop any of your negative. Just my two cents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think for the Lodima, I would buy the 11x14. I don't know what to use for the alternative process because it need to hand coat on the paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you buy a sheet at 22 x 30 in, you can cut it to 15 x 22in and have plenty of room for borders (which is quite useful for hand coated paper). You could also cut it down further, but I'd leave about 1 1/2 - 2 inches around each edge, but that depends on how you are coating the paper.

11 x 15 would be really difficult to print to the edge, but you might be able to manage it with careful coating. Be prepared to get chemistry on your coating surface, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @degruyl thanks a lot. Haven't thought of that size before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    when i make contact prints i never want a "full bleed"
    or the negative to reach the edge of the paper ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For silver gelatin, I would probably go 16x20, but I would trim off an inch on each side (down to 15x19) so that I could easily use 16x20 trays for processing. The emulsion of silver gelatin paper tends to chip at the edges if not handled carefully, so it is nice having a little extra around the image.

For platinum printing, etc, I would go with the 16x20 if found in that size -- or cut the 22x30 in half as previously suggested. Looking at the prices of COT 320, 16x20 is a little cheaper than a half sheet of 22x30
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also think the best solution is the 22x30 sheets. I don't often print 11x14 negatives but if you also print smaller negatives you can get four 11x14's out of one sheet as I do.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

I it were me, I'd go with 11x14 paper because I trim and dry-mount prints. With larger paper, the trimmed bits would just get chucked... and that would be wasteful.

Shooter
    Large Format
    For Lodima. Buy the 11x14. You can float mount the prints. It's a beautiful & expensive paper to waste on borders IMO.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin