Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,726   Posts: 1,515,059   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re, putting a fresnel behind the ground glass is the focus point still on the ground glass face or the fresnel face, that assuming the ridges of the are contacting the ground side of the glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the fresnel's behind the ground glass it makes no difference, by behind I mean viewing side. If it's on the inside it'll move the screen back focus is always on the ground side of the screen.

So a back is modified if a fresnel is used on the inside between screen and lens, and conversely if a back was designed for an internal fresnel the screen needs shimming to reset the focus if the fresnel is removed.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-22-2011 at 03:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK this is the part Ive never fully understood, if there is no fresnel the ground glass is on the same plane as the film when a holder is inserted, now the part I do never have understood, does placing a fresnel between the lens and GG shift the focus point due to moving the GG because you have put the fresnel between the GG and the wood mounting frame physically moving the GG away from the lens the thickness of the fresnel or is it a optical thing changing the focus point of the light because it passes through the fresnel before hitting the GG, and the result is that the GG is at a different plane than the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because a fresnel is a lens there's theoretically a very small shift in the focus, but more critical is the physical thickness of the fresnel screen itself as it shifts the position of the glass. In practice when a fresnel is against the screen you will get no magnification the lenses effect, place a reading fresnel on a newspaper there's no magnification, lift it up it and beomes a magnifying screen.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian, so if i mount the fresnel in a way that does not move the GG the focus point is the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Thanks Ian, so if i mount the fresnel in a way that does not move the GG the focus point is the same.
    It should be.

Ian

So, I thought, what the heck lets rub some 200 on the plastic and see what happens. It was magic. In ten minutes time I had a usable ground plastic-glass. At 18 to 24 inches I could easily see the entire 16" screen for composition.
    Hey Tim,

Did you rub it with a piece of glass or plexi?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's best to use the same material to grind plastics and also ound off edges and corners first. With glass on plastic you run a continuous risk of scratching.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Hey Tim,

Did you rub it with a piece of glass or plexi?
    Andrew, sorry I did not see this for a while.

I took about 4 pieces of 1/4 plexi and glued them together. Thought it would be easier to hold on to. Ended up with a block about the same size as a deck of cards. I used one side for the glass, and the other side for the plexi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin