Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 821

Shooter
    Pinhole

How About a Spring '08 Abq Get-Together?

Hey you Albu-turkeys, er, Albuquerqueans; how about a get together sometime this month? I know there are a few of us out there.

For me, Sundays work well; perhaps on an afternoon. We could meet at a lunch spot (i.e. Flying Star, Satellite, etc), or perhaps meet at a scenic area first (like the Ellena Gallegos Open Space) and retreat for eats and conversation later. There's also a street-photography possibility, like in the Nob Hill or UNM/downtown area. Or Old Town.

Let me know whose interested and when/where.

~Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sounds good. if it can be on a weekend I would be able to go.
    todd
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe VanCleave View Post
    Hey you Albu-turkeys, er, Albuquerqueans; how about a get together sometime this month? I know there are a few of us out there.

For me, Sundays work well; perhaps on an afternoon. We could meet at a lunch spot (i.e. Flying Star, Satellite, etc), or perhaps meet at a scenic area first (like the Ellena Gallegos Open Space) and retreat for eats and conversation later. There's also a street-photography possibility, like in the Nob Hill or UNM/downtown area. Or Old Town.

Let me know whose interested and when/where.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested also.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    sure count me in.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Alb get together

Great idea.

Next weekend is out for me, but after that, I pretty much clear for a couple of months.
    Steve Hicks
    East of the Sandias, New Mexico

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Okay, I'm hoping we can do this on a Sunday, as it's the only day I'm free on weekends. There's several options; I'm thinking a scenic or interesting area to meet and do a photo safari, then perhaps retire to a cafe or restaraunt after.

So, I'll throw out some ideas, and you can vote, veto or come up with your own, and hopefully we can arrive at a consensus.

Idea # 1: Ellena Gallegos Open Space; meet at the east parking lot, take a hike and look for scenic images to capture. Retire after to Flying Star on Juan Tabo. Mid-morning can be good light, but the problem here is you're shooting into the sun to capture the mountains. Perhaps early afternoon?

Idea # 2: A bit more extravagant. Drive out Hwy 550, past Bernalillo, towards San Ysidro, take a left on Cabezon Road (at the right-hand bend prior to San Ysidro) and drive out to the Ojito Wilderness. It's BLM (public) land, with some amazing geology for scenic photographic possibilities. You don't need 4wd, but a truck or SUV is a good idea because the dirt road can get wash-boardie. I usually go out about 9 miles and park off the road, and hike to scenic spots. Mid-morning is good, before it gets too hot. Afterwards retire to Bernalillo at the Range Cafe for lunch.

Idea # 3: Street shooting in the Nob Hill/ UNM area, then retire at any number of cafes.

Okay, let's hear your vote, or come up with an alternative.

As for a good date, I'm thinking a Sunday in the next several weeks (April 20, 27 or May 4).

PM me if we need to take this offline.

~Joe

Images
    Don't take it off line. Abq is not too far a drive for me so I am interested in what the locals are deciding. Not sure if I can make the get together though.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin