Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,994   Posts: 1,524,269   Online: 1001

Thread: Krakow

Shooter
    Medium Format

Krakow

Hi everyone

I'm visiting Krakow in Poland in a few weeks with my college class.

Can anyone recommend anywhere to buy 120 film in the city centre? There will be at least 5 of us with MF, most are bringing 10 films but would like the option of picking up some more if we run out.

Also, any recommendations on where to shoot other than the obvious tourist trips?

Thanks

Julie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I'd take as much as possible from home - just in case the stores don't have stock. A few extra pro-packs in your carry-on won't add that much weight and the load off your mind will more than make up for it.

I find when I'm shooting, and the subject matter is begging to be captured, I shoot loads - you might find yourself using up more than you think and then start worrying about saving film until you get to the store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

here in Poland people usually buy films online on allegro.pl, better take some extra with you.

I recommend to visit Jewish District (Kazimierz), and also not far away from Krakow is nice salt mine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine

regards,

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

There are actually two shops in the centre with reasonable film supplies (including medium format):
    Foto Oleksy
    ul. Karmelicka 15

Finisz Studio
    ul. Lobzowska 15

As for the "must see" places, I second the Wieliczka Salt Mine (it's just 15 km away from Cracow centre, reachable by 304 bus line). You just can't miss it.
    I can also recommend an inexpensive way to see the city with a guide - google freewalkingtour (I'm not allowed to place direct links).
    "krakow4u" website has many useful tips on what to see in the city and contains a lot of good pictures, if someone is looking for an inspiration .
    If you want to see less obvious side of the city, google for "Krakus Mound" and "Liban Quarry", which is located right next to it.

Hope you'll have a great time!

Last but not least, if you want to drink a really good beer (not the regular one served in most of the pubs), visit either Omerta Pub in Kazimierz or House of Beer at Sw Tomasza 35.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks swierk, that's some good information! We plan to visit Krakow again soon (for the second time) so it's good to know where I can re-stock on medium format film while we're there

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the tips. I'm so slow with manual focus that 10 films will be enough for me. I may pick up a few more though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Jagiellonian University is unique, architecturally. The Wawel too, but yeah... pretty touristy. St Mary's is very nice. There are a number of great streets off the central square just to walk up and down. If there's a street market while you're there then you'll see all kinds of interesting subjects. Krakow would be a great place to explore rooftop ornamental architecture, if that's your thing. I also found the cemeteries to be very interesting.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    4 days just isn't going to be enough. I'm really looking forward to it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin