Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 760

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY Dev in Switzerland: requesting chemical help

Hello everyone,

I've just relocated to Switzerland, and I want very much to get back into developing my own B&W again. I would like some help in the chemical department. Specifically, how to use and dispose of photo chemicals properly, for example photo developer and fixer.

I know that Europe can be quite strict in regards to chemicals and such, but who would I contact about this? Getting rid of fixer seems to especially important.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    Where in Switzerland are you located?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    Where in Switzerland are you located?
    For the time being, Berner Oberland

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I asked at Town Hall and they said chemicals can be brought to a local disposal facility. They will be disposed of free of charge. As I thought, simply dumping things down the drain is strictly forbidden.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don’t let yourself be intimidated. I had a black-and-white film lab from 1999 to 2008 here in Basel. Feel free to ask questions!

Developing one’s own shots is most rewarding and joyful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dumping developer down the drain is forbidden as well?

The Safe New World has arrived, for sure.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least at my location it is forbidden: it is considered as waste and waste must not disposed of by the sewer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A question for those in the EU. Can dandruff shampoos containing selennium such as Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders be purchased there. If so then worrying about a few amateur phototogrphers dumping developer down the drain seems a particularly mad point to dwell on.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 04-14-2013 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gerald, this is what my local waste water officer told me when being approached by me on that matter.
    I did not say that any bureaucrat worried about a few amateur photographers...
    Last edited by AgX; 04-14-2013 at 01:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    One might follow the local rules to avoid a fine, rather than because the world will end otherwise . . .

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin