(Not much activity in this forum, but what the heck ...)

Just finished a newsletter for my local art club and in scoping out art museums noticed a number of exhibitions of photography up, or coming up in several nearby museums. In several cases, they may not be analog, but hey, images are images (OK, shoot me -- with film!).

At the Allentown Art Museum: Lydia Panas. The evocative portraits that form the core of the photographic work of award-winning photographer Lydia Panas are subtle personality studies, whether of individuals or groups.

Also at the Allentown Art Museum: Who Shot Rock and Roll? This exhibition organized, by the Brooklyn Museum in New York with guest curator Gail Buckland, will provide visitors with visual access to some of the biggest names in the music industry over the past 50 years. Who Shot Rock & Roll: A Photographic History, 1955 to the Present contains more than 175 images including album cover art, candid snapshots, publicity portraits, and images of live performances of popular artists ranging from Elvis and the Beatles to Amy Winehouse and Eminem. But what makes Who Shot Rock & Roll different from other exhibitions is that it is the first of its kind to tell the story of rock and roll with an emphasis on who fashioned its image, the photographer.

At the Philadelphia Museum of Art: Zoe Strauss: Ten Years. A mid-career retrospective of the acclaimed photographer’s work and the first critical assessment of her ten-year project to exhibit her photographs annually in a space beneath a section of Interstate-95 (I-95) in South Philadelphia. Strauss’s subjects are broad but her primary focus is on working-class experience, including the most disenfranchised people and places. Her photographs offer a poignant, troubling portrait of contemporary America.

OK, definitely Photo-shoppy I guess, but at the James Michener Museum in Doylestown: Learning to See: Photographs by Nancy Hellebrand is a series of subtly colored, large-scale photographs combining individual pictures of tree branches. Each picture is more an abstract meditation than a mirror of nature. First, d!git@l files are superimposed to make one combined image, and then several combined images are placed side by side.

At the Berman Museum of Art, Ursinus College, Collegeville, Pa: Picture Making. Two small collections acquired by the museum.
1) A selection of 17 photographs by significant figures in the field were acquired from the Randall Plummer and Harvey S. Shipley Miller collection and will be utilized for teaching, study, and exhibition.
2) William Earle Williams, Professor of Fine Arts, Haverford College, an accomplished maker in his own right, donated 12 images that cover the breadth of photographic processes. ... Included in this installation are images by Walker Evans, Alfred Stieglitz, Frank Herrmann, Erich Salomon, Margaret Bourke-White, Paul Strand, Edward Steichen, and George Hurrell.
(It may be these are not readily accessible, especially the first.)

I've not yet gotten my fat little body to any of these, so you now know as much as I do.

DaveT