Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,412   Online: 1132

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Oh, how soon we forget. A very young Carol Burnett had a smash hit with a song called "I Fell in Love With John Foster Dulles." Dulles, secretary of state, was an older fellow and looked like a statesman should, but he was no Tyrone Power or Robert Redford in the "handsome" department. He didn't leave his wife for Carol so you could say he crossed her.
    PS -- I once belonged to the Blue Lake Yacht Club in the town of Blue Lake near Eureka, CA. There has not been a lake in Blue Lake for 100 years.
    I, personally, have always been confused by the circles of confusion in photographic theory. Can you help me?
    I'm a little fuzzy on that myself.

I have a theory about Blue Lake: One evening a flock of ducks settled on the lake. Overnight it got so cold the lake froze solid. In the morning, the flock flew off, taking the lake with it.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm even more confused... Virginia... who was she?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    What makes you sure it is John Foster Dulles? Could it be someone else called Dulles who lived nearby. The key might be when the crossing was named. If it has had its present name for say 80 or more years then it might well be someone else called Dulles

pentaxuser
    Dulles Airport was named after John Foster Dulles by an act of Congress. The Dulles name is attached to many things in the immediate area.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is a loud oun?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    What is a loud oun?

PE
    loud oun aka loud Juan is not related to Quiet One aka Quiet Juan. Neither of Juan crossed Any Juan. That should make Every Juan a Happy Juan.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'm out here in Chantilly (just north of 66), so named after a plantation from the early 1800's that, of course, lifted the name from Chantilly in France. Who needs imagination? I've driven on or over many of the name-variant Ox Roads out here, and I've always been very amused at how the road emerges then submerges again, only to pop up elsewhere. I'd lay dollars to donuts that long ago it was a "major" road that came into Washington and northern Virginia (not Northern Virginia as I've seen elsewhere, though some people think it to be so!) from West Virginia and points west. Given the speed with which the areas in Fairfax and Loudoun counties are disappearing, I'm tickled that the past manages to occasionally crop up and remind us that this used to be a much more rural area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You think you have lproblems - I live in British Columbia, which has nothing to do with Columbia and hasn't been very British for a long time.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    And then there was Allan Dulles, of CIA fame ... or infamy if you like Monty Python-esque stories. He may have been closer to Twilight Zone.

it may, however, explain why the name Dulles Crossing is unexplained.
    I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger. ("Oohlala, by the Small Faces").

I plan to make up for it by the time I''m 84 ...

Bob Slaughter (megzdad81)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You think you have lproblems - I live in British Columbia, which has nothing to do with Columbia and hasn't been very British for a long time.
    Who is on your currency? The Queen or the PM of Canada?

British? Hmmm.

But then we have New York compared to Old York. You have Stratford (on Avon).

PE

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin