Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,673   Online: 955

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve- I think we're all set. Jim and I are going to carpool up there tomorrow. We'll see you at the pub at 11:30. I printed out the map you sent the link to. Looking forward to it!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ok great...

Im going to be at the pub @ 11am, just in case any of you drive like I do

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve- Big thanks for putting together the Eastern State outing. I know you had to cut out earlier than you'd have liked to, but everyone had a great time, and I think we'll have come away with some great images. We should make the Eastern State outing an annual event (and no, don't worry, you won't have to plan it every time!).

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry I was not able to be there but happy to hear that everyone had a good time. I would have much rather been there than stuck in the office with auditors. Thanks to Steve for pulling this together.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Guys,
    Thanks again for making it up this way. I again apologize for my early exit; but I was getting to the point of not being able to focus on the groundglass .
    I believe it would be best next time to meet outside of the city, and carpool in. I think 90% of the hassle/time consumption dealt with having to drive into and through the city.
    Im going to develop my negs today and see what becomes of them. I was somewhat disappointed that the areas where I was most interested in viewing (Death Row and the Hospital) weren't really open for access. Perhaps we'll be able to get our 'behind the scenes' deal later in the year.
    On the plus side, It was nice having the interest of the tour guides; they did seem genuinely friendly and helpful. Plus, it seems that Jim also got the interest of a couple of ladies when he whipped out his camera .

Thanks again,

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'll add my thanks to both Steve and Scott Davis for promoting this outing. I'll be going back there many times.

Tip: I believe that the first time one photographs at Eastern State Pen. one should use a small camera. The place is pregnant with so many images that the logistics of an 8x10 distract one from exploring. I made 3 8x10 negatives in the 3 or so hours we were there.

Had I gone in with the 4x5 I probably would have made a dozen. With the Hasselblad, at least 3 rolls. After developing and printing those and deciding from what part of the prison the best images came only then would I go back in with the 8x10.

Just one man's opinion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve- perhaps next time we could also just meet at the prison- there is a very handy (and not too expensive) pay lot across the street, and some rather interesting pubs/restaurants in the same block.

I'll also second Jim's comment about scanning the place first with another smaller camera before bringing in the 8x10. Eastern State is a very large building, and the choices for shooting are overwhelming. I would also recommend, whatever format you're shooting, to bring a faster rather than slower film, as some areas are quite dark, and Jim and Joe were getting 5-10 minute exposure times for some of their shots.

Eastern State is also a perfect place for semi-stand development of your film. You have either extremes of contrast, with little mid-tone, or very low native contrast, compensating for both of which semi-stand is good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like you guys had a good time. I look forward to seeing some of the shots.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn
    Sounds like you guys had a good time. I look forward to seeing some of the shots.
    It'll be a while, but we'll post 'em.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    and Jim and Joe were getting 5-10 minute exposure times for some of their shots.
    6 and 1/2 minutes on 400TMax. We were having trouble focussing it was so dark. Joe and I were commenting to each other how difficult it must have been for Steve Sherman in there with a 7x17. I have new found appreciation for his Eastern State photograph.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin