Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,741   Online: 1112

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Metro

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think that metro stations and pretty much all gov't places in the DC area aren't even allowing tripods any more.

Unless your 5x7 is a press camera I think you are going to have difficulties, I am sorry to say.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I think that metro stations and pretty much all gov't places in the DC area aren't even allowing tripods any more.

Unless your 5x7 is a press camera I think you are going to have difficulties, I am sorry to say.
    It's worse than that. I was driving by the Fairfax County Judicial Center the other day, where they're doing a lot of construction and there are big orange signs every 50 ft. which say "No Photography Allowed without Permission". At a construction site in Fairfax, VA?

It's way beyond stupid to think that someone actually doing reconnaissance in furtherance of a terrorist plot would use a tripod mounted view camera.

Unless it's some place like the C&O Canal NHP or the Aquatic Gardens I won't even take my tripod out downtown anymore. And I don't even think about setting one up even near a Metro station, much less in one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    35mm

Metro Photography

If anybody's still interested it this topic.. I worked in downtown DC until just a little while ago. Forget tripods & 4x5s - Tourists, though, with "touristy" (ie - amateur, or P&S) type equipment can pretty much shoot what they like. Just look & act like you're from Podunk - or Osaka - & you'll have no hassles in any DC Metro station.

JC

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jclyerly View Post
    If anybody's still interested it this topic.. I worked in downtown DC until just a little while ago. Forget tripods & 4x5s - Tourists, though, with "touristy" (ie - amateur, or P&S) type equipment can pretty much shoot what they like. Just look & act like you're from Podunk - or Osaka - & you'll have no hassles in any DC Metro station.

JC
    I actually shoot all over the Mall area with a Toyo AII 4x5 camera and sometimes an 8x10 Kodak Masterview camera. In addition, this is usually done at late hours. Of course, I get curious and even odd looks from time to time. Most people don't bother me. What I do know is that you cannot use a tripod inside any of the memorials because they don't want you to damage the marble floors. At one point last summer a park office did come up to me and ask if I was a pro. I am... but my paid work is portraiture and commercial. So I said I was a hobbyist which was essentially true. I have to admit I was a little pissed that I, as citizen that pays taxes that upkeep these places, was made to feel that I had no right to be there. This led me to look on the National Park Service website to see what the law says and it does not say that you cannot photograph or that you need permits. I don't know what the deal really is but I suspect that there is alot of paranoia out there. Think about it. Would a terrorist set up a 10-20 lb camera on a tripod to take pictures of structural details or police routes? Hmm come on now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyepix View Post
    Think about it. Would a terrorist set up a 10-20 lb camera on a tripod to take pictures of structural details or police routes?
    First, welcome to APUG.

This has been discussed ad infinitum. The general consensus is "no".
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyepix View Post
    ..... Think about it. Would a terrorist set up a 10-20 lb camera on a tripod to take pictures of structural details or police routes? Hmm come on now.
    As David notes, this and related topics regarding the NPS, the TSA and the gummint in general have been beaten harder than a dead equiine here.

But, just to play devil's advocate, what if the 10-20 lb "camera" was really just a shell that actually contained a bomb? :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was using a small 35mm camera pre-9/11 in Bethesda Metro when a cop asked me to stop...he said it was a new rule...and it was because people could hide bombs in cameras

he was perfectly nice & thanked me for understanding

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Can I watch you get arrested? I promise to photograph it with my Hasselblad. BTW, which station?
    Worrying that the prospect of arrest is an automatic assumption isn't it.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Metro DC - Photographing in...

I have had the same problem trying to photograph at the Smithsonian and I certainly feel the same way; we pay for these areas with our taxes, and what terrorist in their right mind would use LF to scope out an area. You would think that there are enough of us tax paying citizens to write our congressmen to see if there is anything that can be done about regular citizens photographing this great country of ours. Let's unite and seek a change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin