Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,197   Online: 964

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Metro

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DC Metro

Has anyone had any experience with shooting in Metro stations? There is a photo I'd like to take with my 5x7 that I can only get from a particular platform.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with shooting in Metro stations? There is a photo I'd like to take with my 5x7 that I can only get from a particular platform.
    No direct experience with Metro DC. This is always a "touchy" topic - here in NYC we "beat back" a proposal to ban photography in the subways when they tried.

Setting up a 5x7 is more problemattic than the usual 35mm "street" shot. I'd suggest an inquiry to the Authority (e.g. Public Affairs officer) detailing what, where and how and asking if a permit is required for a "commercial-type"* shoot.

Besides the usual "terror" concerns, they are also going to be concerned that you don't interfere with passengers, crews etc. Treating like a "commercial situation" may actually get you what you want....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I suggest you contact Metro directly.

They are very concerned about the tripping hazard of tripods.

Does it have to be 5x7? Can't you shoot it hand held on a 4x5 Crown Graphic, or Hobo?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And let us know how this pans out. I've always wanted to shoot in the metro stations, although with a bit smaller gear.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Can I watch you get arrested? I promise to photograph it with my Hasselblad. BTW, which station?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Metro station managers and security folk are usually beyond anal about not letting you photograph in stations. I once got yelled at for taking artsy photos with a digisnapper of 1 second exposures of people's feet as they were passing through the turnstiles. No faces, just floors, turnstiles, and feet. I think your best bet is to try and arrange permission beforehand, otherwise you will at best be made to feel like pondscum for trying, and worst case, you will get hauled off and your gear confiscated, of which at least part you can guarantee you'll never see again thanks to the sticky fingers of the folks at Central Booking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Metro station managers and security folk are usually beyond anal about not letting you photograph in stations. ...
    ... and that's why I've never done it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Metro station managers and security folk are usually beyond anal about not letting you photograph in stations.....
    Is that with all kinds of gear - or just LF stuff?

Here in NYC you regularly see folks (mainly tourists) shooting 35mm (or digi-equivalent) gear on the subway trains and stations etc.

Also, the Information booth in Grand Central Station (train terminal) is probably one of the most photographed "icons" in NYC. I figure a lot of folks must have read "A Catcher in the Rye" and are Holden Caufield (?) wannabes....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Is that with all kinds of gear - or just LF stuff?

Here in NYC you regularly see folks (mainly tourists) shooting 35mm (or digi-equivalent) gear on the subway trains and stations etc.

Also, the Information booth in Grand Central Station (train terminal) is probably one of the most photographed "icons" in NYC. I figure a lot of folks must have read "A Catcher in the Rye" and are Holden Caufield (?) wannabes....
    This is with all kinds of gear. If you appear to be photographing anything other than other tourists, they get in a snit.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I should think that which station you pick has a profound effect on the Metro cops' reaction. I mean, aren't you going to get away with a lot more photography at Shady Grove or Vienna than you are at McPherson Square or Farragut West? The strength of the reaction would seem to be in inverse proportion to the distance of the station from the Imperial Compound.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin