Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,417   Online: 960

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow, you get downright pithy when you're snowbound. Guess you can take the old fart outta California but you can't take the California outta the old fart.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Wow, you get downright pithy when you're snowbound. Guess you can take the old fart outta California but you can't take the California outta the old fart.
    This "storm" is keeping me from going to Canada to ski in real snow.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, stepped out for a smoke and a shovel. A bit over an inch thus far. Still very fine flakes. Heavier stuff still to get here.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An inch! An inch! OMG the world is coming to an end! We will all be killed! We will all be killed! We will all be killed!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Should only get a couple of inches in Northern NJ, but I just finished my darkroom, so you can bet it's a printing weekend! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Geez- woke up to a whole inch and a half this morning -- and it isn't snowing any more. I suppuse we got what was predicted. I was realy hoping for a couple of feet of the white shtuff. Guess I'll pack up the family to where theres lots more of it, and take the skis, and the mutts, and a big picnic, get some skinny-skiing in. Crap, there isn't even enough to get decent sledding any where close by. Chris, can we come visit, and play in the snow down there?(just kidding) I love to X-C, its one of the few things that is low impact on my ailing body, and its fun.

Rick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't want to beat a dead horse, but from the Yourdictionary.com
    Decade
    a period of ten years; esp., in the Gregorian calendar
    1. officially, a ten-year period beginning with the year 1, as 1921-1930, 1931-1940, etc.
    2. in common usage, a ten-year period beginning with a year 0, as 1920-1929, 1930-1939, etc.
    As with most aspects of the English language (e.g., spelling, pronunciation), common usage will prevail over "official" prescriptions.
    Last edited by doughowk; 02-06-2010 at 07:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    looks like a darkroom day.....yesterday's 3" of snow received about 1" of rain and has all but disappeared in Richmond. Still some snow from last weekend's storm, but nothing to get very excited about.
    John Bowen

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Don't want to beat a dead horse, but...
    Oh come on, let's beat that dead horse. It's so much fun, and the snow story seems to be over anyway:

Wikepedia is a bit confusing in defining the term 'decade', but is pretty elaborate when it comes to the term 'century':

According to the Gregorian calendar, the 1st century C.E. started on January 1, 1 and ended on December 31, 100. The 2nd century started at year 101, the third at 201, etc. The n-th century started/will start on the year 100×n - 99. A century will only include one year, the centennial year, that starts with the century's number (e.g. 1900 is the final year in the 19th century).

It is a commonly held misconception that the 20th century ended on December 31, 1999. The 20th century actually ended on December 31, 2000, its centennial year. In the United States, this fact has been disputed with major media calling December 31, 1999 the end of the 20th century. The century referred to as the 1900s would, however, end on December 31, 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    ...As with most aspects of the English language (e.g., spelling, pronunciation), common usage will prevail over "official" prescriptions.
    So, if one is wrong, he just needs to find enough others to be wrong too, and everything is fine. We will never let facts stay in the way of opinions, will we now?

Too bad my grammar teachers didn't buy that one.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin