Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,995   Online: 799

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Early Ansel Adams prints at Lebanon Valley College, PA

OK, for the three people who may live within range ...

At Lebanon Valley College, there is an exhibition of about fifty prints at the Suzanne H. Arnold Gallery. That's in an old church at the intersection of Church Street (surprise!) and Route 934, one block north of route 422 in Annville, PA (between Lebanon and Hershey). I believe this is the exhibit that was elsewhere (Ohio?) earlier this year, organized by Art2art Circulating Exhibitions, but I don't currently see it on their site.

The show is up to October 17th and the college website has info about hours and finding the place, as well as a campus map (which you won't actually need). If I could, I would have had the light brighter and more even, but that seems to be a "usual complaint."

I didn't count, but I believe all the 18 images from the 1927 publication Parmelian Prints of the High Sierras are there, as well as other prints up into the 1940s. It definitely was some inspiring work to contemplate. I found interesting a side-by-side hanging of about a 5x7 of Monolith, the Face of Half Dome, printed around 1927 with about a 16x20 print done in 1940.

The exhibit has been up since back in August, but I finally got my fat little body out there this afternoon. There is a donation box, but no fee to enter.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was there a lot of difference in the printing between the two?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    Was there a lot of difference in the printing between the two?
    Yes. I might characterize the smaller print as somewhat muddy in the shadows compared with the larger and slightly newer print. I found the 1940 version much more appealing. Of course, I have no idea what the smaller print may have looked like the week it was made, but I understand Adams often changed his take on later prints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin