Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,564   Online: 784

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
    YIPE! That's rather expensive. But worth it I suppose. Then again, I have NO experience in these things, so regular film or the stuff in a bottle would be a better starting place. That way, if I flub, I won't go bankrupt...
    Or die...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Or die...

Ken
    the painful truth!

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, I forgot some of the materials are hazardous.

You know, I'm starting to like this idea less and less (at least with My current experience)...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Becquerel method isn't nearly as dangerous as the traditional mercury method, but elemental iodine can still cauterize your lungs or blind you. To be clear, making Daguerreotypes is very expensive, about $65 for each finished 4x5" plate. Cutting corners will only make a difficult process more difficult. If you have any doubts try something easy and cheap, like wet-plate collodion... (some irony intended)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I’ll admit that it continues to puzzle me why dry plate photography is lumped with the difficult, expensive, and dangerous processes. It is no more so than any other area of chemical photography – that is to say, about as dangerous as standard household cleaning products. I just made 70 sheets of 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 film for less than $10 in materials. I did wear nitrile gloves, and I did have the darkroom ventilation fan going when I had the bottle of ammonia open, but to tell the truth, I have a fan in my inkjet printer closet because the solvent fumes give me a headache.

I haven’t finished working out the details, but I will be giving a free seminar late summer in Newport, Oregon, with hands-on demos (more or less, depending on the number of people attending.) Dry plate, artisan film and paper will all be covered.

Peace, joy, and a good camera, and the best of fun and satisfaction no matter what your process!
    Denise
    www.thelightfarm.com
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...tent=19Feb2012

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    I haven’t finished working out the details, but I will be giving a free seminar late summer in Newport, Oregon, with hands-on demos (more or less, depending on the number of people attending.) Dry plate, artisan film and paper will all be covered.

Denise
    Wow, Denise! That is great news. I have been meaning to contact you to see if you had any plans for workshops. Put me down for it. "If God and the cops be willing", I will be there.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan,

Hope you can make it! It would be great seeing you again. Vaughn doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to try to twist his arm into helping work out a negative (film and plate) density/contrast 'profile' that works for carbon printing. The one dry plate I printed with carbon looked so stunning, I'd love to see the idea go as far as it can.
    d

Shooter
    Large Format

I would love to come for this, keep us posted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi View Post

I would love to come for this, keep us posted!
    Most definitely!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Dan,

Hope you can make it! It would be great seeing you again. Vaughn doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to try to twist his arm into helping work out a negative (film and plate) density/contrast 'profile' that works for carbon printing. The one dry plate I printed with carbon looked so stunning, I'd love to see the idea go as far as it can.
    d
    It would be even better if you could in addition twist his other arm to repeat his carbon class in Newport at about the same time. That would make a fantastic vacation trip - first dryplate and then carbon class :salivating:

Eugene.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin