Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,322   Online: 1172

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Modern Daguerreotype

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone had ever tried Daguerreotype? Is hot mercury the only development method?

Thank you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can do it with mercury, or you can do the Becquerel process - the Becquerel process involves no developing chemical, but instead the plate is re-exposed to full-spectrum light through a sheet of rubylith. You have to change your sensitization process if you plan to do Becquerel development. There are a number of books out there that have an extensive description of the process - the Christopher James book and "Coming Into Focus" by John Barnier are both good references.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Making of Daguerreotype
    by Takashi Arai

You may find this eight-and-a-half minute video interesting.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm
    My, that's quite a process. But the result is so very lovely. Is a special camera required?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike Robinson, Toronto Daguerreotypist, makes some very cool accessories for heating mercury and presumably making it much safer.

Check these out -> http://www.blackshadowyachts.com/centurydarkroom.html

The Becquerel process sounds baffling... I need to check out those books.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just read a great description of the process from the late 1880s that was used without mercury. god knows if I can find it again in google books. lemme look.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    I regularly make Daguerreotypes and teach workshops at CAP in NYC.

There are two alternatives to using hot mercury. The "Cold Mercury" method uses mercury at room temperature in a vacuum. It was developed in the 1980s or 90s by John Hurlock. The other method is the Becquerel, mentioned in a few 19th century texts, which uses a red or orange light to develop the plate. Lots of details at http://www.cdags.org/ or a brief summary of my Becquerrel process here: http://www.alternativephotography.co...-daguerreotype

And yes, it is a painfully difficult, expensive, and unpredictable process, but the results are worth it...

Shooter
    35mm
    How expensive is it, precisely? For a 1"X2" exposure, for example?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    IIRC, a 4x5" plate by itself is about $40-$45 US. Not including the costs of the other chemistry and hardware required to do it safely - that stuff probably adds another $10-15 per plate. This is one reason I just collect originals now

Shooter
    35mm
    YIPE! That's rather expensive. But worth it I suppose. Then again, I have NO experience in these things, so regular film or the stuff in a bottle would be a better starting place. That way, if I flub, I won't go bankrupt...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin