Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,408   Online: 707

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Help with ground glass for 9x12 Voigtlander…

Have a nice 9x12 folder that came sans viewing hood/back. But it did come with a pack film adapter. Any suggestions on how to make a ground glass back? What kind of glass? Or other material?
    Bob Keene
    "I don't have A-D-D, I have K-I-D-S!!"
    ------------
    Keene Vision Photography
    www.keenevision.com
    ------------
    Darkroom Photography Activity Head
    @Nobles Day Camp(Summers)
    ------------
    Beginning Digital Camera Instructor
    New England School of Photography
    Boston, MA
    -------------

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ian wrote an article about that subject
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...us-screen.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could always put a sheet in the pack film holder
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There's nice sellers on eBay who will make ground glass in any size. I was happy with glass I bought from photofinder on eBay, it's in my Pony Premo No. 4.

The trick will be mounting in you plate holder with the correct "register", so that the ground surface is the same distance in as the pack film would be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As EASmithV has suggested, a sheet of ground glass in the film pack adapter is an easy solution. It is automatically set for the proper focal plane (same as the film pack would be) and the adapter fits the camera perfectly - no jury-rigging. The only drawback I have with the one I made is that the glass I used is somewhat heavier than standard and the back has no hood to darken the area around the image for work without a dark-cloth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's relatively easy to make a hood that'll fold into an old film pack (well at least the film packs I have). I've made replacement cloths for a few of my hoods and also a hood for a wodden quarter plate camera.

I have one or two spare 9x12 screens (Also 5x4 & 10x8) if anyone needs one (UK/EU).

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    i hate to post this URL because people who go there spend hours and dollars buying the weirdest stuff... but they have good prices and service:
    http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m2013p.html

has a 15x9 inch optical flat for $5 which you could make into a ground glass screen using jeweler's rouge

but look at all the other stuff too....

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    i hate to post this URL because people who go there spend hours and dollars buying the weirdest stuff... but they have good prices and service:
    http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m2013p.html

has a 15x9 inch optical flat for $5 which you could make into a ground glass screen using jeweler's rouge

but look at all the other stuff too....

David

1/4" thick would be very impractical it's more normal to use 2mm or even 1.5mm but never 6.35mm.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are still in need of such a part I think I have some left for a Voigtländer Bergheil 9x12.

Chris

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin