Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,911   Online: 861

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Steve, I suspect it's the curtain material that's causing your problems. I may be able to help you out there if you want to pop down and collect some

Ian

Hi Ian,

This is a bit of Deja Vu all over again!

Didn't I send you some shutter cloth about a year ago?

One thing I noticed during my strip down was that I have one shutter tape that is black. The rest are white...

So... I am not the first person to have attempted a repair. The trouble is I am no longer certain that what I have can work. Maybe someone has replaced the tapes with something too thick or changed the length or who knows what else?

Obviously, if you know a camera is original then you look for the part that has gone faulty and fix it. When I realised I may be looking at a modified shutter.... it made me doubt if I can ever get it working. I gave it a good go, though!

I'll be very interested to know what shutter tapes are on your camera.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Hi Ian,

This is a bit of Deja Vu all over again!

Didn't I send you some shutter cloth about a year ago?
    :) yes but more like 3 or 4 years ago when I restored my first TP shutter. I've restored a lot of shutters since then.

It's beginning to sound like we should compare notes on these Ruby shutters, I guess I'll get my camera in a couple of days, it's coming by courier. So lets see what tapes etc it uses.

Somewhere I have some Patents for TP shutter, I'm not sure if there's one with drawings that covers these particular shutters though. Tomosy has a section on the Ruby's shutter in his book Restoring Classic and Collectible Cameras. How appropriate it is I'm not sure yet as he chose the Ruby Duplex shutter.

Ian

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    have fun ian !

reflex cameras are the best ..
    i have a graflex series d that has been
    my favorite camera to use ( ive had it since the mid 90s )
    it looks like it has been through a war at this point ...
    but it works like a charm!

john

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have parts left over from a 3x4 auto Graflex, What size is the camera? Maybe the screen or mirror will work for you.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I have parts left over from a 3x4 auto Graflex, What size is the camera? Maybe the screen or mirror will work for you.
    Thanks Wayne. The focus screen isn't a a problem I make them on a regular basis and sell a few online as well The reflex mirror maybe, but the camera is still in transit so I don't know the exact size yet , I'll be in touch. Come to think of it I don't know what size the camera is yet either

Parts left over Wayne !!! So far I've been very lucky and been able to build another camera from those parts.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The camera arrived this morning, a Thornton Pickard Ruby Junior Special, Quarter plate as I'd guessed. I was hoping to be able to just clean up the casing with some minor patching but it'll flake off when I open the camera up to take the shutter mechanism out. There's also a crack in the wood of one side that'll need glueing up so I've ordered some Moroccan Grain Black leather cloth.

I've already cut a new focus screen and am now contemplating what to do with the front surface silver mirror. Judging by the silver on the edges and a bit on the rear as well Thornton Pickard made these individually which made me realise if they could make them then so can I . I have some Silver oxide, ammonia etc so will give it a try, just need to rig up a hot-plate outside.

Before I begin stripping the camera down I'll shoot some photos of it.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    which made me realise if they could make them then so can I
    I nice attitude. Similar to the line I have used for many years: "If someone else can do something, so can I".

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Thornton Pickard Ruby Junior Special, Quarter plate" translates into X"xY" [please specify Imperial Inch, US Standard Inch, Imperial Nautical Inch, US Standard Nautical Inch or screw it and tell us in metric.}
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    "Thornton Pickard Ruby Junior Special, Quarter plate" translates into X"xY" [please specify Imperial Inch, US Standard Inch, Imperial Nautical Inch, US Standard Nautical Inch or screw it and tell us in metric.}
    Quarter plate in the UK is 1/4 plate in the US and vice versa except for US Tintypes 3¼"×4¼" although sometimes erroneously called 3x4 in the US. Many film sizes are nominal reflecting older glass plate sizes with an allowance for a film adapter.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ian,

You won't have any trouble stripping this down, it is quite easy, but here are some pics of those 'sneaky' hidden screws I promised you.

Basic strip down sequence is to take the back off (three screws at the bottom and two at the top, I think?), remove the knob (screw at the base of the knob. It passes through the threaded shaft so need to be removed completely). Pull off the knob, four screws to remove the wooden plate covering the gears.
    There is a mirror return spring which needs unhooking at one end, too.
    There is a light trap between the top of the shutter and the body which is glued in place (you see it hanging down in the last picture). On mine the glue was so old and dry it pulled straight off. If yours is stuck more firmly it might need a little acetone or careful peeling off.

Undo the four screws in the pictures (one onthe left side, one at the bottom, two inside the timing gear housing) and the shutter should pull straight out the back.

You can pretty much jump in and pull it apart. No nasty twangs and things shooting across the room, or bits falling out before you can see where they've come from. There doesn't seem to be any need to mark up positions of knobs or anything, either. Just dive in

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin