Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,490   Online: 1061

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Graflex Whole Plate shutter...do you have one on your WP rig?

I found a Graflex whole plate shutter a while ago, but only recently jerry rigged it to my WP camera. It is nice, although does not fire at the fastest speed, i.e., 1/1000. It definitely makes my camera heavier. Just wondering, are there any other people here that have one of these shutters and how is it attached to your WP camera? Thanks. Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Graflex focal plane shutter on my Century Universal 8x10. They were made in several versions to fit on specific cameras. If you have the right one for your camera it's just a matter of lifting the brass spring tabs that hold the ground glass back on, and removing the ground glass back. The shutter assembly will have pins in the right place to just replace the GG back with the shutter. Then the ground glass back will fit on the back of the shutter assembly in the same way. If the shutter assembly you have doesn't fit on that way, then you have one made for a different camera model. You will have to improvise intermediate backs of some kind to go between the camera & shutter, and between the shutter and the ground glass back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmeyer314 View Post
    I have a Graflex focal plane shutter on my Century Universal 8x10. They were made in several versions to fit on specific cameras. If you have the right one for your camera it's just a matter of lifting the brass spring tabs that hold the ground glass back on, and removing the ground glass back. The shutter assembly will have pins in the right place to just replace the GG back with the shutter. Then the ground glass back will fit on the back of the shutter assembly in the same way. If the shutter assembly you have doesn't fit on that way, then you have one made for a different camera model. You will have to improvise intermediate backs of some kind to go between the camera & shutter, and between the shutter and the ground glass back.
    Yes, I had to make some fitting adjustments to have this WP graflex shutter attach/work. My shutter fires on all speeds except the 1/1000. I believe it is just due to age and I don't have anyone I am familiar with who go through it and give it a CLA.

If you ever decide to part with your Century Universal 8x10 with the graflex shutter, please keep me in mine for I would love to purchase it. Perhaps you have a particular lens or type of lens you have been looking for that I have. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin