Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,197   Online: 858

Shooter
    Large Format

Soft Focus lens for ROC Reversible Back Premo Whole Plate size

Hello,

I have and love a 6 1/2 X 8 1/2 Rochester optical Reversible Back Premo camera. It has a very small lens board which measures 3.5"x3.5" I am looking for a vintage soft focus lens in a portrait focal length which will fit on a board this small.
    I have not been able to come up with anything that will work. I had an English half-plate petzval which fit but the focal length is just too short. I do not need a petzval lens although it would be great. I could be happy with a Wollensak Velostigmat Series II 4.5 if I could figure out a way to mount it on the camera. This particular camera is such a joy to use. It has been my favorite vintage view camera to date. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might want to try the front glass of your petzval. Remove it from the barrel and it'll have loads of coverage and around double the focal length.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Dan,
    I will give that a try.... I just managed to buy two original ROC Lens boards uncut and unused.... they match the camera perfectly.

best... Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi chris,

you might also look in the classifieds section here ..
    reinhold ( an apug member ) makes beautiful wollaston soft focus lenses
    and they are very affordable. you might see if one of the ones he is selling
    will work for you ...

good luck !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    "I am looking for a vintage soft focus lens in a portrait focal length which will fit on a board this small."

Emil Busch Rathenow "Busch Bis-Telar #3 16" f/7".
    Great look to it and a nice focal length for whole plate, I use mine on 5x7.
    Jim Gali had one for sale recently, ask him if it is still available..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phfitz View Post
    "I am looking for a vintage soft focus lens in a portrait focal length which will fit on a board this small."

I don't think the Bis-Telar qualifies as "soft-focus", i guess it's simply not-too-sharp.
    Most (all?) old tele designs shared that "feature".
    They can be a cheap solution, if you want to take portraits, but you'll get just a hint of softness, don't expect the "glow" shown by true soft-focus lenses, or the "swirliness" shown by petzvals (and some projection triplets) used beyond the intended format.

phfitz, do you want a shuttered lens?
    If you can do without a shutter, or use a front-mounted one, there is some choice.
    If you want a modern shutter, check first the dimension of a Betax No.5 flange. If it fits, shop for a Velostigmat Series II or an Ilex Paragon Series A, WITH soft-focus adjustment (most of them don't have it).
    MOST "soft" and "portrait" lenses have no modern shutter AND are too big for your lensboard.
    The solution could be a "landscape" meniscus of the right focal, which can be separated from its diaphragm.
    You will have the choice to use the lens as-is, or wide open, and the size of the flange would be a perfect fit for a small lensboard.
    If you want, you can supplement the lens with a small (= cheap) front shutter, like a Zettor, Luc, Silens, etc.
    If you are patient, and shop carefully, you would spend 1/3 the cost of the most affordable soft-focus lens.

If you need more details, feel free to send me a PM.

have fun

CJ

Sent from my Android tablet
    Getting back from digital to LF (mostly 5x7" and 8x10")
    selling Linhof Technika III 4x5" (fifth version, graflock back), Mamiya Press outfit + lenses, plus many LF lenses
    trading for soft focus lenses with 8x10" coverage - EU users preferred
    Photographica Flickr sets
    For sale

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phfitz View Post

Great look to it and a nice focal length for whole plate, I use mine on 5x7.
    Jim Gali had one for sale recently, ask him if it is still available..

Thanks so much for the suggestions...I will check these out!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks CJ,

These are great suggestions... I have an adapter board that came with the camera... It is a vintage thing made to accommodate lenses that are a little larger. The camera came with a 14" Zeiss Anastigmat in a B&L Iris Diaphragm shutter. A betas #5 may fit on that... I will check. A brass landscape lens separated from the diaphragm was what I had been trying to find. I have a a couple of front mounted packard shutters in large and small sizes so shuttering a lens is not a problem. I am so fond of this camera that all the trouble to find the lens seems worth it! Thanks again

Best... Chris

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin