Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,215   Online: 933

Shooter
    35mm

Vintage (c. 1920's-30's) Development Tanks Question

Hi,

I have 5 vintage copper development tanks that I need help identifying and valuing. I purchased these from a man who said they were used with daguerreotypes but I then was told that they are probably the the following...

"The are for glass plate negatives, probably from the 1920s or 1930s. Each tank would have been filled up with liquid developer, stop bath, fixer (hypo), or water. The rack (containing the plates to be developed) would be lowered into the required solutions using the wire handles on top of the racks (as shown in your second photo). The lids were put on top to keep the light out and to minimize evaporation."

I loved the way they looked and planned to used them as display when I was doing a lot of my own developing and pursuing photography in college. That was back in the 80's (eek) and now I am thinking of letting them go b/c I don't do as much photography as I had anticipated. I have not idea what they might be worth and the best place to sell them.

Can someone help?

Thanks for any feedback..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0234.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	410.6 KB 
ID:	54659

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0236.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	463.7 KB 
ID:	54660

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with the idea that they were made to develop glass plates, each tank with different chemicals. Probably 1920s.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are very valuable: this kind of tanks are relatively common (but, truth to be told, usually not in kits of 5 tanks), and yours should be restored before putting into use (if possible at all) and in any event looks like at least a good clean could help looking better for display.

However, I'm no expert, maybe they are some special kind or made by some famous factory, but I doubt it.

I'll be looking forward to what the people more familiar with these devices has to say :-D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting! I would wonder about the copper reacting with the chemicals though
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian d View Post
    Interesting! I would wonder about the copper reacting with the chemicals though
    They look tinned inside.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    They look tinned inside.
    Indeed they do. They look homemade as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Indeed they do. They look homemade as well.
    Even better... Look there is one lid with a round ball and one tank without tinning on the bottom.

I bet the original owner bought one tank with insert and made the remaining four tanks.

Now the question: Did he need five tanks to do reversal processing? Or just like having one tank each for developer, stop, fix and then two water tanks to go back and forth to wash...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the lids is tinned, or gavanised, as well. Presoak, dev., stop, fix, wash. I guess the OP has to get samples from the insides and have them analysed. Spectrographic analysis shouldn't cost too much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife the antique maven says 20 - 30 USD each, with perhaps a 10% price break as a set.
    Like a lot of other things much depends on what a buyer is willing to go for, and where you are selling.
    I don't think they would be very good for actual use, too reactive I would think, even tinned.
    I wouldn't do more than lightly cleaning them, They have a nice color as they are now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you everyone for your knowledge and insight. I feel like a history detective. It is great to hear they we most likely homemade.

I have really enjoyed them all this years. I'll post them on ebay to see if anyone wants to take them off my hands.

All the best and thank you again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin