Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,882   Online: 1016

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can anyone help me identify and value this camera?

Hi everyone,

I might be able to get my hands on this old camera. I am interested in a foray into wet plate photography. Can anyone tell me what it might be worth or what the maximum you would pay for it based on the condition it is in (in the pictures). It is not being used and is purely ornamental. It might still be for sale and I would like to make an offer.

Many thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wetplate_cam1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	59431 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wetplate_cam2jpg.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	59432 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wetplate_cam3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	59433 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wetplate_cam4.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	59434

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well it's a British half plate camera, with a Thornton Pickard shutter and lens. To give you an idea I can get a similar camera for about £60 (75 euros) without a shutter/lens and a shutter for £15 (19 euros), lens £30 (38 euros) so around £105 (130 euros). Having said that complete cameras usually fetch more especially with a case and plate holders.

Lionel Hughes has a good idea of prices and sells similar cameras on his website. The Houghton Triple Victo he's selling is £180 / 224 euros and that should be your maximum price, you might try offering 120 -150 euros.

You'd probably need to make a different back to take wet plate holders but that shouldn't be too difficult. I've assumed from the proportions and size of shutter that it's a half plate camera - you'd need to double check, half plate is 4¼ × 6½ inches approx 11x16.5cm.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-07-2012 at 10:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add plate size

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, thank you very much for the very helpful information. Also, thank you for the link to Lionel Hughes' site :-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin