Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,865   Online: 893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Industar 51 vs Industar 37

Hello, I want to buy one of these lenses for start to do ambrotypes, I was reading about these and look good, just difference about the finish size.
    My main work will be portrait, but I want to do some architectural or landscape photography too.

Could you recommend me which one has better performance or quality for the work I want to do?

Thank you

Israel Alanis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome, I appreciate any possible economic constraints you are under and that you are looking for advise.
    You say you have read about each.. I have used the Industar 51, the 37 as I just scanned google is an entirely different animal (long telephoto)
    Perhaps the 22 is what you are cross shopping which is a sharper contrasty lens than the 51 (which isn't exactly soft just different).

Neither will be of much use for serious architectural images, both have their points for landscape. The 51 better suited for portraits.
    I have a Jupiter 8 and Industar 51 ready for a head to head showdown when my m3 comes home from the repairman.

Hope that helps... take a look at my post over here read it and think.... especially if you are under 30! http://www.apug.org/forums/forum54/1...a-effendi.html

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Check this link out... I bet your choices are in there somewhere.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/range...-using-m9.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you VpwPhoto, I will read your post right now.
    I was looking some ambrotype made through 51 37 and they are very nice, my consern is buy a lens with best performance, but as You said they have each particular points, I saw the size of 37 too, so huge, but if quality worth it?? I have not experienced with LFormat lenses.

Reading, thnaks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Check this link out... I bet your choices are in there somewhere.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/range...-using-m9.html

Thank you VpwPhoto!, checking too.

Regards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by israelalanis View Post
    Thank you VpwPhoto, I will read your post right now.
    I was looking some ambrotype made through 51 37 and they are very nice, my consern is buy a lens with best performance, but as You said they have each particular points, I saw the size of 37 too, so huge, but if quality worth it?? I have not experienced with LFormat lenses.

Reading, thnaks.
    So you did not miss-type the 37.. it is a different animal, restrictive view.
    I would say you need both.
    Ambrotype... are you looking at larger than 35mm. In that case as I read your post these lenses are for 35mm only.

If you are looking at 4x5 get a cheap Xenar to get started with... what part of the world are you in?

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh no, I want to use it for large format, for ambrotype.
    Reading your first answer I realized about my real concern, and it is if I sacrifice a wide angle view, like In51 gives me, for a big print (8x10in.) that In37 gives, in other hand In37 has a reduced angle view.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And as far as I know neither lens you mention covers anything more than 35mm frame.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello vpwphoto, I attach a link describing Industar 37, http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1662.html
    Regards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OP, download the 1963 GOI and 1970 and '71 Yakovlev lens catalogs from http://www.lallement.com/pictures/files.htm

The I-51 is a normal lens for 5x7. It is not a wide angle lens, won't cover 8x10, should be used on 5x7 and smaller formats. The I-37 is a normal lens for 8x10, also not a wide angle lens, should be used on 8x10 and smaller formats.

Get and use the one that's appropriate for the size of ambrotype you want to make.

vpwphoto, get the catalogs and study them. You'll learn that in the Soviet scheme of things, names like Helios, Industar, Jupiter, Russar, ... identified (usually) a design type and were applied to lenses with a wide range of focal lengths and coverages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin