Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,280   Online: 824

Shooter
    Medium Format

Calumet 4x5 for wet plates

Hi, I would like to start getting some stuff together for wet plate process. For starters I would like to get a camera, something not too expensive, so I was thinking about Calumet single rail 4x5 cameras. Problem is I dont know if I can get a 4x5 we plate holder that will fit this camera and I dont know if I can just use any ole brass barrel lens with it. Any thoughts here?. I dont want to spend more than 400 on the camera, lens and holder in 4x5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Check out www.incameraindustries.com for one variation on the holders. Otherwise, for the cheaper DIY, see http://collodion-art.blogspot.se/201...wet-plate.html for example. You can use any old lens, but a faster one is easier to work with (wetplates are slow stuff).
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have a look for an MPP plate holder. These are for 5x4 cameras. Maybe more common in the UK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Also, another suggestion: Don't spend any reasonable amount of money on the camera itself. It's just a box and in the end, especially just starting wetplate, you'll most likely get it stained and gummed up.

An easy holder is to purchase one of the Grafmatic backs, insert two pieces of wood to act as spacers, glue em in place, and viola! Easy to load and unload holder!
    K.S. Klain

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin