Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,292   Online: 1215

Shooter
    Multi Format

Where to begin in collodion?

Can someone point me in a good direction to begin with tintype? I have been looking for a workshop here in RI, to no avail; so I would like to start reading to get a foundation. Any recommendations?

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    StudioQ.com

Touch base with Quinn Jacobsen
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    StudioQ.com

Touch base with Quinn Jacobsen

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You don't need to take a workshop. Wet plate is not hard. In fact it is, chemically, one of if not the simplest type of silver halide photography. There are a lot of people who describe it as a "hard won craft", that takes "years of experience", but they are just perpetuating the mystique that has built up around it. You might want to purchase John Coffers guide. No need for the DVDs. But, everything you need to learn can be found in a google search over a week or two.

Let me also add that the instructions that come with B&S kit are good, too. Dont need anything more. If you want to save like $100, buy the chems yourself and mix them. But make sure you have an accurate scale.
    Last edited by Nikonic; 04-20-2013 at 01:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ditto,
    Bostic and Sullivan,
    Book and on line videos by Quinn
    Book by Will Dunniway
    Also Alternative Photography website.

Note and adhere to all safety precautions given.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just an update. I was fortunate enough to have a workshop pop up here in Providence at AS220! Three weekends, with mostly hands on work. Here is 1 of my first three plates that I made yesterday! Loving the process so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9340985979_b263047fdd_z.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	72012

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    awesome...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Definitely learn from a pro, and don't try to "wing it" like so many that come onto these forums with a myriad of questions and problems for months after starting. Their mistake? Believing they can learn by reading 5 different practitioners, usually who have less than a few months experience themselves. I moderate Quinn's forum, and trust me, all we ever get now are newbies coming on with the most rudimentary questions and wild misunderstandings. If you buy a manual, you will probably have good plates the first or second session, or in about 2 weeks. If you take a workshop, you'll have good plates that day. If you try to learn it by listening to all the other newcomers, reading up on Facebook and Youtube, with no expert advice, you'll be shooting many, many sessions with many flawed plates.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin