Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,661   Online: 960

Shooter
    Multi Format

Developing Plates and a couple other Q's re 9 X 12 Voigtlander

I've been enjoying using my Avus 9 x 12 a lot lately. Shooting sheet film and roll film in a Suydam back. I just got 24 plates to try in it. They are long expired but very slow speed so I'm hoping not too fogged. Anyway. Do I need a developer that is hardening for glass plates? Any recommendations? I have some Original Microdol mixed up that works great that I might try. It's from the 1950s before they changed the formula. It works great with Fomapan btw.
    Another thing, I scored some Zeiss film holders that were miss marked on the big auction site. One is unused in the original packaging which has a big caution printed on the front to be sure to store them without the dark slide in them so as not too compress the light trap. The first time I'd seen that. Too bad they didn't caution people to store them with moth balls eh?
    greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always used HC-110 for old plates, for its fog control. I don't think Microdol contains any antifoggants, does it?

I suppose historically a hardener would have been used, but I haven't, and things *seem* to be OK, although I don't go around beating up plate emulsions to see if they needed more hardening.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Nathan. yes, I think you're right, I think The "X" was an antifoggant? I have some Benzotriazole stuff I could dose the microdol with. I just opened one of the packages and it had some recipes inside for developing etc. It said if you would like to harden the plates use a fixer with hardener. So I won't worry. The first developer is a Pyro developer the second is a Metol etc type. It gives a 4 minute development time btw ?! This is Panchromatic so I can't develop it and observe. I'm going to try 10 minutes in the microdol. I exposed the test plate at asa 12. I'll order some HC-110 for the future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm enjoying reading all these great post on plate.

I have a Maximarr 9x12 l have been wanting to shoot but lack on info n materials has kept in the dark so many years.

Please let me see how it turns out for you?

Thanks
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maco do a hardening solution which can be added to developer. It's marketed as part of their emulsion package but can be bought separately. It is recommended by Christopher James in his book Alternative Photographic Processes (2nd edition) for use with dryplates.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any staining developer is hardening. Pyrocat, for example.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi

mark osterman suggested on his dry plate page
    ( i have to find it, i can't remember where it is ! )
    to use a very active developer and develop the plate for a long time ...

the plates i get the best images from seem like they are over processed
    ( compared to film or paper ) but they print on a hard paper like azo or lodima &c
    nicely

hardener is a swell idea (sorry for the bad pun ) ..

have fun!
    john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin