Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,769   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What shutter am I looking for-Tele Dynar 20cm

I found a front and rear element set of a 1920s-30s Voigtlander Tele-Dynar and would like to use it with my 9 x 12 Avus when I'm shooting on 120 film at 6 x 9. I assume this was stripped out of a Bergeil 6,5 x 9 set up? The dimensions are:
    Rear element 26mm (threads od)
    Front element 29mm
    So, I need a shutter I can mount on the Avus that would hold this set.
    Anybody have a clue? Ideas?
    Thanks
    Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In addition to the threads, the spacing is critical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I'm hoping a 6,5x9 Voigtlander Avus would have the correct size shutter and if I could locate one of those…This lens was supposed to fit it. it's listed in the manual as an accessory. But i think that sort of shutter should be pretty commonly used on cameras in that period? an Ibsor or Compur of the right size?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Yes, I'm hoping a 6,5x9 Voigtlander Avus would have the correct size shutter and if I could locate one of those…This lens was supposed to fit it. it's listed in the manual as an accessory. But i think that sort of shutter should be pretty commonly used on cameras in that period? an Ibsor or Compur of the right size?
    You would probably need to find a shutter which originally mounted that particular lens, unless you know the correct spacing you'll be guessing. Shutters of that era were far less standardised than today; for instance I have two pre WWII lenses mounted in the same size Compound shutters, both the threads and the tube lengths are different. Perhaps you can find and measure the shutter of an identical lens to get the dimensions you need. As I pointed out, spacing is critical - just because the cells screw in does not mean they are correctly spaced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Maybe someone with a nice 6 x 9 Bergheil or avus could chime in with measurements? please!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the Avi I've seen have had Compur shutters. I have a 6.5x9 at home that I can measure for diameter this evening, but as pointed out above there was a lot of variance in that era. Do you have a set of calipers to measure the lens threads?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Nathan,
    I would love that. I don't have calipers but with very careful measuring i get 29mm in front and 26mm in back. this od of the lens mount threads.
    Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, it doesn't match anything on the list at http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/pratique..._centraux.html. I don't know if that's good news or bad news; if the mounting was an unusual custom arrangement, that might reduce the chances of a "partial match" (like having the right threads but the wrong spacing).

As an aside, I just love the French word "obturateur" for "shutter"; because of the cognate with English "obdurate", it suggests to me not a properly working shutter, but a shutter that's stuck closed!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try the google translate as I did "Core Plugs" ??! anyway, I'll hope the multiple question marks hides the answer. I bet my measurements are off by.5mm btw
    greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't have calipers, measure the circumference of the threads with a bit of thin wire or something else which will not stretch. Apply pi and you'll have a bit more accuracy than you'll get just eyeballing the diameter with a ruler.

P.S. "Obdurate" and "obturateur" come from different roots IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin