Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,106   Online: 1054

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    This 1943 patent on the subject of lens coating is interesting. Franly I think any such idea would be biting off more than I could chew, but nonetheless it is certainly interesting.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...3ZMmIFTCnj6Pcg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya'll just need a laser to heat it, that's all.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Seriously, I would think that google searches on the subject of DIY lens coating would probably turn up my handle in conjunction with the subject; now, and at earlier dates. I was bound to purssue this matter to a reasonable conclusion in my own mind. I believe it can be done, but I also believe that it is also a good way to die as a pauper from spending too much of one's life on such hobbies. In our lives, time is money, and like it or not the best way is still to send the lens off to the big boys who do this sort of thing for a living. Even if someone like me was successful in this wheel re-invention, there is still the matter of the experience. Like any technical field, experience only comes with years. So now I can comfortably close the matter. Thanks, guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have really old glass, you could artificially age it chemically, as the first attempts at anti-reflection coating were done, after it was observed that glass which had formed a tarnish had better transmission and contrast.
    That could be fun, with no big investment.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really don't want to coat the glass. I want to get rid of polish marks and signs of 165 years of use...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Liquid Lens stuff sounds pretty good, if its an old uncoated lens it should not cause much harm.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    illumiquest, sorry for hijacking your thread. I had already deemed your question as answered in post #6, if you follow off on some searches concerning the items mentioned. Seems quite feasible, as compared to my pursuit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    You need to make a pitch lap and try cerium oxide as a polishing agent.
    Would jewellers' rouge work as well?

I have a lens which I want to remove the coating from rather than re-polish the glass. It has been seriously over polished in a past life and only has about 75% of its coating left.

I'm thinking that I have nothing to lose in trying!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 07-27-2013 at 04:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,
    I have about five grades of rouge in my workshop. I do not think any are fine enough for that purpose. Abrasives for optical use have the particle size very carefully controlled.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    If you have really old glass, you could artificially age it chemically, as the first attempts at anti-reflection coating were done, after it was observed that glass which had formed a tarnish had better transmission and contrast.
    That could be fun, with no big investment.
    I have a 6" Dagor from ca. 1906-8, it has an absolutely beautiful and uniform deep blue bloom on the front and rear external surfaces. Sadly it has no bloom inside, where it would do the most good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin