Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,827   Online: 1134

Shooter
    35mm

New here with a couple finds.

I was walking through a flea market a couple weeks ago and found this camera with a tag that said "old Polaroid - $10.00". Even I knew that with wasn't an old Polaroid so I picked it up. It is an ICA Sirene 135 from 1920.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ICA.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	75321

For a 90 year old camera, cosmetically it is in very good shape, the bellows look real good as does the rear hood, but... The focusing glass is broken and the shutter is hosed. The shutter speed dial doesn't feel right and the blades are loose. There were also no plate/film holders. I don't see a big problem with the glass but the shutter and holders with probably make it a static display. The shutter/lens has "Extra Rapid Aplanat Helios" on it.

The other one is something like I never saw before. It is an 1897 Adlake with 12 holders, two with glass, all inside the camera. I don't have a photo but this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adlake1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	75320

is from this site http://www.vintagephoto.tv/adlake.shtml that shows and explains it much better than I can. I've only had it a couple days and haven't really been able to get into it yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

The Ica Sirene is a bottom of the range camera as it has a 2 element Helios lens in what looks to be a self cocking shutter, plate holders are quite easy to find but see the sticky thread here about the types of fit. Film adapters were made but are slightly more difficult. It's a very simple two blade shutter so may well appear loose.

I've put new focus screens in all my cameras of this type but they often need quite thin glass (1.5mm) which is more prone to break.

The other camera lppks interesting.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG. Just love you're old cameras!

Jeff

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Ica Sirene"

A early camera with sound?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey, welcome to apug reedw, great finds !

the big box looks like a lot of fun. i love using old box cameras
    that took/take 4x5" plates. i hadn't ever seen a mechanical magazine camera like
    that, only falling ones. yours looks like a lot of fun, and no worries about plate-breakage

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I've put new focus screens in all my cameras of this type but they often need quite thin glass (1.5mm) which is more prone to break.
    Thin glass is also difficult to find - One good source is large microscope slides, for example: BRL large tissue slides

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Thin glass is also difficult to find - One good source is large microscope slides, for example: BRL large tissue slides
    I have a few sheets of 1.5mm (approx) in 10"x8" they came from a pile of picture frames that had belonged to my old next door neighbour, it's not legal in the EU to sell less than 2mm thick glass direct to the public.

My other source is old glass plates, I have a few boxes of unused plates (some sealed but mostly useless) and occasionally when I buy plate holders they come with plates still inside. In fact I took a number out of holders yesterday all fitted in the wrong way so they'll be stripped and cleaned.

Ian

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Picture frames are a great & cheap source for glass plates for sure!!

Before coating, give it a good wash (5 minutes or so) with simple liquid detergent to free the glass from grease and durt. Will also clean your hands as well, preventing finger prints popping up all over
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    My wife and I were looking at three cameras. The Adlake, a Kodak Retina II and a Voigtlander Vito II. I was interested in the two 35mm, not sure about the plate camera. That is until my wife started tearing up. It turns out her grandfather was a pretty accomplished photographer and she was sure she remembered him using the Adlake. Well that settled that, I bought all three. Later, I told her that the Adlake was hers. Now, I have to find out if it will work. The things you do for love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    "Ica Sirene"

A early camera with sound?
    Not exactly, but it does lure mariners to their deaths.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin