Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,429   Online: 966

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glass plates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glass plate negatives were something I steered away from in the past because they were a total mystery to me. Last November I attended a Carbon Transfer workshop at the George Eastman House where we were given a choice of vintage glass plates from the archives to print. At first I was disoriented about using glass. I half expected to hear a crunch as I closed the print frame and slid the springs in place. Not only that but I decided to go for broke and transfer to glass. My first experience with glass plate negatives and carbon transfer to glass was like a dream. All the stars aligned that day! I'd really like to take an emulsion class at the George Eastman House. Education is the best way to dispel fears.
    Last edited by Curt; 01-17-2014 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Curt, they have several scheduled this year.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well Curt, they have several scheduled this year.

PE
    I know and I'm not getting any younger! There's no better place to learn than the George Eastman House. Thanks!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format

Home made glass plates

I can certainly endorse the GEH course - I am still fired up nearly a year later!

But the biggest problem I have had is finding glass in a thickness to match the plate holders for the Zeiss Ikon camera I have. I am in the UK and have followed a number of leads for 1.4 - 1.7mm glass to no avail. I have now purchased two 10 x 8 cameras hoping to find plate holders to suit standard 2mm glass. Hopefully I maybe getting close.

Russ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin