Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,873   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass plates

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Glass plates

I have recently been looking at a series of photographs taken on glass plates which are very impressive. Glass plates have optimum dimensional stability (dead flat) and I wondered how many people on APUG still use these and contact print the results. I take my hat off to such a form of perfect image making.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a relative newcomer to the scene, but have been coating and using plates for 8x10, half-plate, and 4x5. It is great fun. Everyone should do it. Now that the weather is warming up a bit, I'll want to start coating for the 5x7. Plates and paper negative is about all I can stand these days. I stepped back from using film a while back, finding it just "too sterile" for my liking.

Just curious . . . I assume you are referring to negatives on glass? I contact print those now, but have just configured a 5x7 for enlarging plates. I expect some interesting results there.
    Last edited by DannL.; 01-15-2014 at 02:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL. View Post
    I'm a relative newcomer to the scene, but have been coating and using plates for 8x10, half-plate, and 4x5. It is great fun. Everyone should do it. Now that the weather is warming up a bit, I'll want to start coating for the 5x7. Plates and paper negative is about all I can stand these days. I stepped back from using film a while back, finding it just "too sterile" for my liking.

Just curious . . . I assume you are referring to negatives on glass? I contact print those now, but have just configured a 5x7 for enlarging plates. I expect some interesting results there.
    Correct, negative on glass.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you considering diving into the pool?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Clive have you checked prices on glass plates lately? 10 pieces for €113, and they are small - 65x90 mm Hats off indeed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See the emulsion coating forum here on APUG and look at our workshops at GEH regarding this topic!

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Hi Clive have you checked prices on glass plates lately? 10 pieces for €113, and they are small - 65x90 mm Hats off indeed!
    No, I can't afford it.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Oh wow! That's definitively not the way I've gone about it. I purchase those inexpensive black-plastic picture frames at thrift stores. The frames where the glass pops into the front, and the only part of the frame that is seen is the black edge. Those frames have 2mm glass that is perfect for all four of my cameras and their holders. For the odd sizes (4x5, half-plate) I just cut the glass to the correct size. It's quite inexpensive glass-wise, if you're are coating your own plates.

I'll bet Clive is talking about commercially made pre-coated plates. If that is so, I couldn't go there myself. Maybe in my next life.
    Last edited by DannL.; 01-15-2014 at 03:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL. View Post
    Oh wow! That's definitively not the way I've gone about it. I purchase those inexpensive black-plastic picture frames at thrift stores. The frames where the glass pops into the front, and the only part of the frame that is seen is the black edge. Those frames have 2mm glass that is perfect for all four of my cameras and their holders. For the odd sizes (4x5, half-plate) I just cut the glass to the correct size. It's quite inexpensive glass-wise, if you're are coating your own plates.

I'll bet Clive is talking about commercially made pre-coated plates. If that is so, I couldn't go there myself. Maybe in my next life.
    Correct, I was.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Correct, I was.
    I can't believe you let me ramble on like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin