Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 745

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

me too !
    but then again, i think there's no such think as perfect anyways ..
    I know, and its all your fault.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    LOL

this thread is the essence of analog photography

too many haters
    Hate is just love for something else in disguise.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    On the original post, I agree. It took me months of shooting, almost every day, before I would even consider doing some plates in public. And it is variable, sometimes you just cannot get a good plate. But on those days you should be having one problem, not dozens.

When I teach a wetplate workshop now, the students come away able to pour and develop very nice looking plates. I teach for quality. I think many of these "artiste" types with such flawed plates don't even take a lesson or read a manual. Of if they do, they don't pay attention and begin posturing as a Great Wetplate Photographer - the next week. The public, up and down the socio-artistic classes, typically don't know that wetplates can look very, very good. Flawed drips, splotches, comets, pinholes, developer pour lines, wooley lines, tears, lifting collodion, and many more are all preventable. Certainly overexposure and focus problems. If you know what you're doing.

But like the commenter said above, a car salesman type can turn all these flaws into "artistic features" with smooth marketing. There are many wetplaters that take as good a plate as Brady and Gardner in the 1860s. They just don't jump up and down saying "Look At ME!" as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Be careful everyone: I follow a photographer here in town who has hilarious post/pictures and a comment I see often is "those analog Nazis" or "film-shooting elitist".

Not scoring many points around here..
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    For some reason, the new wetplate photographers seem to think that dirty, smudgey, streaky and crappy plates are artful. I remember my first attempts had problems, but I worked them out. Keeping a grungy look is not remanicant of of old world charm. "THE" look comes from lighting, subject, composition and time. I have made plates that turned out disapointingly new and modern looking but that happens sometimes. Some of the old masters from the 1860's made portraits that rival modern work, like NADAR.

The oyster shell sworles around the edge of the plate are old already, give it a break.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand that a key step in a tintype, in the interest of longevity and durability, is a proper varnish coat. I can easily see someone, in a hurry to produce a bunch of 'em, either skipping that step, or going with a cheap/easy spray-on or other sort of solution. That wouldn't have anything to do with the image or emulsion as printed, but scratches and wear would be accelerated.

Imperfections have been gaining popularity, and not with just the "lomo" crowd anymore. I prefer my photos to be technically acceptable, or better... but there are times when I make a photo that has a certain charm, but a niggling little problem here or there that I don't see myself comfortably editing in the darkroom, so a quick scan and run through an effects filter... Yeah, it feels so dirty sometimes.
    -----------------------------
    In 3D where available, void where prohibited by Law.
    -------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    Those are very nicley done.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Or these:

http://lisaelmaleh.com/americanfolk/#5

I apologize if she was mentioned before. I have not read the whole thread; just check in once and a while to see what is up. I cued up the link to my friend Ralph Roberts who she photographed last year. I don't know her other than a brief meeting at a music festival, but I've liked the pictures she's done of folks around here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    Or these:

http://lisaelmaleh.com/americanfolk/#5

I apologize if she was mentioned before. I have not read the whole thread; just check in once and a while to see what is up. I cued up the link to my friend Ralph Roberts who she photographed last year. I don't know her other than a brief meeting at a music festival, but I've liked the pictures she's done of folks around here.
    Her work is great, you can see a remarkable improvement in her images as you get to the more recent set such as the everglades and american folk vs her earlier work that she has up. She has really got it down, I wish I could see some of these in person.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin