Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,263   Online: 1145

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I looked at a very old Burke & James camera a few months ago, in AZ, that was engraved as 'E Kolb'. No way to prove anything, but it's fun to speculate that it was used by the Kolb Brothers while dangling off the side of the Grand Canyon.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not a camera but my copy of "Corrective Photography" by Kellsey was signed to John Palmer from Merle Deardorff.
    John E Palmer was a Galveston Texas photographer of 1916 to 1960 vintage, who mostly photographed African-Americans.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up a 9 1/2" Goerz NY Dagor in an early Compound at a show. Scribed on the back of the front plate of the shutter is the name "Wm H. Pfister Cinti. Oh." and a date in 1915. The lens' serial dates it to about 1910.
    William Henry Pfister - http://www.surveyhistory.org/herman_pfister.htm

My Deardorff V8 has a SSN on it, I looked it up (you can do this with numbers belonging to the deceased) but neglected to make any notes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The name and address of what I believe was the original owner of my 1920s 9x12cm Ica Universal Palmos 275 camera was written inside the viewing hood. I did some research and found a few 9x12cm negative scans in the archives of the Library of Congress from the WPA taken by the same person, so I am pretty sure the same camera was used.

I agree, it's pretty neat to know the history behind things. I wish I knew more about the previous owners of our house and why they made some of the remodeling decisions they did!

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    when i was living outside of boston i used to go to ep levines all the time, they were at the drydock still
    they had a case full of barrel lenses, some cheap some cheaper, some xerox machine process stuff some more expensive ..
    it was a thursday and i was there poking around. my pal paul wasn't there at the time, but an older guy named mike was attempting to sell me
    something telephoto for my speed graphic. unfortunately his idea of telephoto wasn't really a very long focal length, and more like a 7" ...
    anyways, a guy behind me saw me eagerly trying t extricate myself from the sale and tapped me on the shoulder. he gave me his phone number on
    a slip of paper and said, " i have the lens you probably want " ...
    a few days later, maybe a week, i called him, arranged a visit, and voyaged to central square, blank check in pocket ...
    i found his house. he had a 4x5 telegraphic in the window with a monster of a 15" teleoptar on the front. he had the camera pointed out the window,
    made and exposure peeled apart the polaroid and showed it to me ..
    i paid him the $$ he asked for ( can't remember how much it was, maybe $50 - 100 ? ) and rode home to somerville.
    i dug up a round cornered lensboard and put it on my camera and started to use it almost immediately ... it was perfect.
    i talked to my friend across the hall about the lens, and told him the story behind it.

he laughed ..

he said the guy's name again ...
    and then told me the story behind the lens ..
    he said the fellow who sold me the lens was a teacher in town ..
    and he pointed to my place and said this studio you live in was built by him ...
    and he looked at the lens smiled and i laughed as i put it on the shelf it probably sat on 20 years before.

a little while later i was on the corner of boylston and washington streets in the combat zone
    it was about 8am and the wrecking ball and pincers were pulling down the hotel avery.
    i climbed up and stood on one of the switch boxes across the street and took a few photographs
    and the head reference librarian from the mbta looked up at me and laughed ...
    he told me the betty crocker cooking school was in the hotel avery ... and at one point everyone who was anyone
    in the city had a room in that hotel ... there was just a pile or rubble soon after ..
    (in the 16x20 you can read the room numbers on the doors )
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-10-2014 at 08:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome story!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ...he pointed to my place and said this studio you live in was built by him ...
    and he looked at the lens smiled and i laughed as i put it on the shelf it probably sat on 20 years before.
    There is no possible story that can beat yours...

Anybody know Linda Zackelfoose? I've got her Rollei 35.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got Joe C. Tuomy's Rolleiflex SL66 kit. At least that's the name on the engraved plate on the Rollei hammered-steel camera carrying case I got it in.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bill + richard .. thanks ..
    i wish i could remember that guy's name ...

john

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin