Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,190   Online: 755

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure is purty! My steampunk lovin' neighbor would be all over that! Brass, wood and leather cause him to drool uncontrollably.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe we exchange that "toy camera" forum for "fetish camera"....

How is that whole assembly arrested in the casing to kep it from falling out during carrying?
    And what is that metal part for, hiding behind the upper end of the handstrap?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The bed clips into the casing... you can see the clip in the photo of the closed camera. And the little metal part swings around to keep the plate holder in place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like the front panel allows some rise/fall (or shift with the camera on its side). No obvious tilt. That latching mechanism for the front standard looks like a good way to reduce volume, weight, and complexity.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is the lensboard that may enable some rise (or fall). Depending how much coverage behind it the front standard does yield.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't given up on this and was having another root around today when I came across this

A Shew feather weight which looks quite similar although half plate. Based on British patent 24647 it seems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
    I haven't given up on this and was having another root around today when I came across this

A Shew feather weight which looks quite similar although half plate. Based on British patent 24647 it seems.
    Having seen the camera myself on Monday I have to agree that despite my initial feeling it was possibly a German camera it's almost certainly a Shew but it's not listed in their adverts. It's a very nicely made camera. The fitting on the top took a finder. (I have an advert for the half plate model with one attached).

Shew were quite innovative with some of their designs which differed quite a bit from many of the other British cameras of the era.

I may have some plate holders that fit (I have around 200).

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The patent was from 1893 and with an 'Emile batault' so maybe this was an earlier version. Would Shew have put centimeters on the scale though? Did they export?
    A plate holder would be good. Mine are darkslides or the thin metal ones, none of which will fit properly. I'll measure up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin