Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,754   Online: 984

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Does 8.2 x8.2 format even exist?

Hello! I'm newly registered here (although I've been reading the forums for some time) and am looking for a LF plate camera for wet plate use. I would like some advice from more experienced photographers if they've ever seen one of these before:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1412379686...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's advertised as an 8.2 x 8.2 body and is shipped from Lahore... Should I assume the small ground glass and corresponding aperture slide up and down to accommodate the roll-film back? Do you think there is a large format ground glass then missing from the rear standard?

I'd really appreciate any pointers you can give on this mysterious (to me!) beast

Lann

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My guess is that the back of the camera is 8.2 x8.2 (inches?) so that the camera might be a 5x7 with a reducing back for 120 roll film.

Got to love his description! "Most of the cameras I am selling do not have a light leak in bellows." But what about this one?! LOL!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd guess that it is whole plate - 8.5 x 6.5 - and originally had a rotating back, hence the square dimensions. The plate holder looks to be the right size but there doesn't seem to be a matching back, only the reduction back. Generally speaking cameras of this era weren't standardised, so you need to have both the back and the plate holder(s) that were specifically made for it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you both very much. It does look suspect! I was hoping against logical thinking. That bellows is falling off isn't it :-) I'll keep looking...
    Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a Half plate camera 4.75x6.5 inches from India or Japan copied from a Houghton's camera.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin