Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,805   Online: 1166

Shooter
    Multi Format

Retaining ring for plate camera

I have an old Ica Sirene 135 plate camera for 9x12 glass plates that I'd like to start using, unfortunately the retaining ring for the lens got lost. I have a retaining ring that came with a 90mm Angulon that I have (the old one in the Synchro-Compur shutter) that is the right diameter, but I can't screw it on all the way. Any idea where I can find a ring that fits?
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the lens off the camera how far will the retaining ring screw ? The problem is the shutter predates the modern standard set by Compur in the late 1920s. I have some older Compurs with flanges or retaining rings and just checked, the issue is the threads are coarser (less per cm) than the newer Compurs but the same diameter, so either way they'll bind almost as soon as you try to screw them on..

New Compur/Copal/Prontor #0 retaing rings are sold by Heavystar on Ebay at a reasonable price, however getting hold of the older type is near impossible. I'd go and buy scrap folders for the parts, I saw boxes full yesterday some as low as a £1 if broken.

Try junk shops, Charity shops etc, place a Wanted advert here. I'm short of these myself so have none to spare unfortunately.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The easiest route might be to have a machine shop make one to fit. In the US this would be a natural job for S.K. Grimes; I don't know if there is an equivalent shop in Europe, but it seems like any metal shop should be able to measure the threads from the shutter and cut a corresponding ring.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    The easiest route might be to have a machine shop make one to fit. In the US this would be a natural job for S.K. Grimes; I don't know if there is an equivalent shop in Europe, but it seems like any metal shop should be able to measure the threads from the shutter and cut a corresponding ring.

-NT
    The cost of having one made would be prohibitive compared to the value of the camera/lens, in fact you could buy a lens & flange for less, Grimes charge $35 plus shipping, that's why I suggested finding a parts camera.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin