Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,665   Posts: 1,668,955   Online: 768

Shooter
    Large Format

Looking for infos about Rapid Baryt Aplanat Helios

Hello all,

since some time I am looking for a suitable lens for wet plate. All are imply so expensive I don't want to feed the lust.

Yesterday I accidently found one no one else wanted to take, for pocket money I couldn't do anything wrong.

In net and my other sources I couldn't find any information about this lens.

Pehaps someone of you has some details like image circle and/or year etc? Experiences? I hope to use it with half plate.

It's a "Helios Rapid Baryt Aplanat f8 260mm"

Sorry pictures until now. If I am lucky I will hold it in one week in my hands.

for every information thankful

horst
    Last edited by TheMissingLink; 02-04-2015 at 05:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: edith says: typo.
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lens should cover the halfplate Format with quiet a bit of movement. It is of classic RR/Aplanat construction.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But isn't the name quite strange?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But isn't the name quite strange?
    It is ...

Baryt is a Barium mineral - it is used in the production of optical glass.
    “…all photographs are self-portraits.” – Minor White

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Baryt means Bariumsulfate (at least nowadays) and I do not know of its use in optical glass.

But yes, Barium is used in optical glass and most probably that is the idea behind that designation.
    Thank you for hinting at that.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Baryt stands for the glass that was used in this case Baryt Leichtes Flint Glas (Baryt lightflint glass)first made by Schott in 1888 which offered better correction than previous glass used for the construction of Aplanat/Rapid Rectlinear lenses. The glass was also referred to as "Jenaer Glas" The lens you refer to is either a copy or a new name for Waechter's Berlin Leukograph Baryt-Aplanat first made in 1892. For more Information on that lens read the Article in the Photographisches Correspondenz of 1892. Josef Maria Eder the then god of photo chemistry and history wrote a favourable Review of that lens. The article can be viewed online under the following link:
    http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/an...ize=45&pos=636
    Last edited by MDR; 02-04-2015 at 10:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Baryt means Bariumsulfate (at least nowadays) and I do not know of its use in optical glass.

But yes, Barium is used in optical glass and most probably that is the idea behind that designation.
    Thank you for hinting at that.
    I have to be careful -
    Chemistry certainly isn't my forte ...
    “…all photographs are self-portraits.” – Minor White

Shooter
    Large Format
    Good morning,

Thank you all for your comments! At least there's hope to be a bargain and suitable for my needs. :-)

I will update on that topic when I got it the next days, have cleaned and tried it out.

horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin