Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,027   Online: 880

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great stuff, Paul. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee Valley - www.leevalley.com has fairly small brass screws for wood, and ships pretty much anywhere.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Had a look at Lee Valley and ordered a few bags of the smaller sizes. Should be just the thing for all those missing screws on my Speed Graphic. Thanks for that tip.

The only trouble was with their International Address form. They had 3 fields: Street, City and Country. No State/Province and no postal code. Very, very strange since postal code is an absolute requirement for most western countries. Just added it all to "special instructions" and hoped that it would be OK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul-

Thanks for that wonderfully illustrated set of instructions! Priceless.

Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw
    I didn't even know there was such a thing. I know very little about fishing!

I was going to look at the fabric & sundries shop, in the hopes that something like this cord is used for embroidery or other "fabric arts". I know very even less about embroidery that I know about fishing!
    Brian, braided fishing line should work nicely. Ask me about it Monday morning.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Paul,

Brilliant. Thanks. I use a BIG one of these shutters for 8x10 portraiture with a 21 inch f/7.7 Ross. It works now, and I have a spare -- but they won't work forever. Or rather, they will now...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    4x5 Format

brass srews- try TIMBECON in WA

Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    Okay, I've rebuilt my shutter and put it all up in a series of pages at:
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paul...tp_shutter.htm

Please let me know of any typos (bound to be lots) and any additions or corrections you feel it needs. FWIW, I never did get around to finding the cord that I wanted. For this rebuild I used 1mm model ship rigging which I had ordered sight unseen. It turned out to be just like normal thread but does the job. Next time I might try (non waxed) leather working thread which can be bought thicker than usual dress-making thread.

The shutter cloth I bought from Japan seems first rate and I have enough left over for another three or four shutters.

Next job is to find a source of very small woodworking screws. If anybody knows of a source in Australia I would be grateful of the information but I suspect I will have to go with someone like micro-tools that does international mail order.
    try Timbecon in perth- web and phone sales

Shooter
    4x5 Format

thornton pickard shutter

Can you please tell how these were mounted? i have just bought one for some barrel lenses and my 4x5 and 8x10- all is still a mystery- mine will need new fabric as the paint is flying off when used and whilst the cloth is in great condition i can see daylight throughthe weave, also
    i cant get it to trip to TIME- the INSTANT is fast and noisey! is there a trick in getting the lever to set over to the TIME- also- i cant see how to set the time on the large dial- i found your web info page a great help- and will follow it when changing the cloth over- have sent to my camera repair bloke here in Sydney0 so at least we'll both be on the same page- as to wood screws- i have found a great fastener supply shop in an industrial park near home- all the catalogues in the world and is willing to search- does however deal in boxes of screws etc- not a prob if you area hoarder for rainy days-- and cheaper
    bruce@advantagefasteners.com.au MOB-- 0400 497 398- also TIMBECON- web and phone sales www.timbecon.com.au

mt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have found two types of shutter. Most have removable lensboards that clip into the front of the shutter. The shutter itself is either built into the front standard or is screwed to another board which is then attached to the front standard. My Lancaster Instantograph uses the latter method:

There are some that don't have a separate lensboard and seem to be one solid unit. These are made to slip over the end of the lens.

To set the speed you need to turn the brass knob at the other end of the shaft to which the speed dial is attached. In the picture above you can see the brass knob just above the hole where the string comes out. The little bent spring next to it sits in a notch in the knob and prevents the knob turning. You will need to gently compress the spring so that the knob is free to turn and then you can change the speed.

To change from Time to Instant you need to move the lever over. There is a little piece of bent brass that engages with a prong on the bottom of the lever that prevents this. You need to gently pull the brass upwards and the lever will then be free to slide over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the braided fishing line referred to referred to by Mark is known as "squidding line" here in northeastern US and is used for surf fishing. It's cream colored and about 1mm in diameter, very strong and flexible. If any one is interested I can see if it's still available. I understand there is a braided monofilament too but it may be stiffer.. Not sure, I don't fish much.
    I have a TP with the same shutter and this thread has been an inpiration to try to get it working. Thanks to all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin