Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,490   Online: 880

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Velvet replacement

Through considerable luck and diligence in shopping eBay, I picked up a total of 15 usable plate holders (726/6) that fit my Ziess-Icon and Ica Ideal 9x12 cm cameras some time back; with film sheaths enough to load them all, and 9x12 cm still available in limited emulsions, I can make a nice expedition with my 80 year old cameras. Overall, I've been pretty happy with them, but there are a couple with obvious large gaps in the dark slide velvet that causes them to leak light.

Replacing velvet is said to be easy, if you can get to it; unfortunately, these holders appear to be either soldered or crimped closed (unlike the plate holders for many plate cameras, these use a geometric light trap around the frame opening, no velvet at all on the camera, and thus have an enclosed, double-velvet dark slide slot). Has anyone seen any way to get the velvet out and replacement material in on this type of holder?
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Donald
    I dont see much hope of gaining entry to the Ideal holder but there seems to be enough of a lip to rig an external strip of felt or velvet.
    That is why I prefer the double sided holders used on Favorits and Juwels as they are bolted together.
    Have you tried leaving the dark slides out for a while and trying to ruffle up the velvet. If it is missing you might try to introduce (poke through) a piece with glue on the back and then trim it flush.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may have hit the key point, Mark -- with the right tool, I could probably jigger the existing (garbage, nothing lost) velvet out of the slot, and work another piece in. I'll have to examine the one I pulled out of service recently, after identifying one that had a particularly heinous leak, and see if I might be able to fabricate a tool -- straightened fishhook, perhaps, for extracting the old, and something made from hobby shop brass trip for pushing in the new...

I have no doubt I could get into the Ideal holder -- I have a Dremel, after all. The problem would be getting it closed up, light tight and correctly aligned, after repairs are completed. I've got a couple that are too rusty to use; I might have to cut one up just to experiment on...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin