Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,052   Online: 1137

Shooter
    Medium Format

Zeiss Ikon Trona 212

I am the proud owner of a Zeiss Ikon Trona 212 Camera. It is a 1/4 plate camera, and dates from 1929.

(I have the original receipt - it cost £12 -7s - 6d, and the case cost £1 - 1s)!

I have had some good results from this camera, and very happy with its performance.

Has anyone else got one??

Marcus

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Marcus!

I've got a Zeiss 207/1 - roughly the same age and it takes 9x12cm. So far I've played with it with a 6x9 rollfilm adapter (also Zeiss, but looks post-war), but on my never-ending list o projects is to make a holder and put some sheets through it.

Any pictures of/with the Trona yet?
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi JiminKyiv,

Good to hear from you!

I've not heard of the Zeiss 207/1, it sounds a similar machine to mine.

I have taken some photo's on my Trona, and have got some excellent results fom it. I have taken some only the other day - several people looking in amazement at somebody using an old bellow camera!

Taking the photo's really slows me down. I'm glad because it makes me think about what I'm taking.

Marcus

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello Marcus, I just found this old thread. My uncle gave me a Zeiss Ikon Trona 212 at Christmas. It was bought new by my grandfather, we think in about 1926, from James A Sinclair of Whitehall, London.

Only two holders are with the camera, one for a single glass plate, and one that I think is a pack-film holder. I wondered if you had any idea where I could get more plate holders from? The one I have has the number 760/14 stamped on it - is this the same type your camera takes? It seems quarter plate holders are quite rare.

I'm hoping to find time to test the camera out with paper negatives soon. Have you any examples of your work in the gallery?

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    Only two holders are with the camera, one for a single glass plate, and one that I think is a pack-film holder. I wondered if you had any idea where I could get more plate holders from? The one I have has the number 760/14 stamped on it - is this the same type your camera takes? It seems quarter plate holders are quite rare.

Ian
    Hello Ian,

Obtaining plate holders for your camera depends on the camera & the maker/manufacturer. Each camera has its own 'fit' for plate holders, eg only certain engines will fit in certain cars!

If you can find a 2nd hand camera dealer in you area, they may be able to help. If you do, then take your camera along as you need to make sure each plate holder you try does actually fit the camera.

I live in central London, so am rather lucky in having a few camera dealers in the area who I can buy plate holders from. The best one is 'Mr Cad' in Croydon. You can 'Google' them quite easily.

Hope this is of some help to you. Do let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Marcus

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I didn't think of Mr. Cad. I work in Wimbledon, so should be able to get there fairly easily.

I found some Thornton Pickard holders on ebay for a good price. The seller assured me they would fit the camera, and although they have a slightly different design to the Zeiss Ikon/ICA holder they do seem to be a snug fit. Just need some spare time during daylight hours to try them out with paper.

I've got one paper negative using the original holder and it looks mostly good, apart from one ~1cm diameter spot of fogging. Not sure what caused the spot, I need to try again and see if it comes up again in the same location.

Hope to get a contact print posted soon!

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin