Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,509   Posts: 1,543,567   Online: 1070
      
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    Ole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    9,281
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    31

    Big heavy brass things...

    All right, I have a few of these from before. But nothing like the ones that arrived today!

    The first one is simply marked "A. T. Thompson & Co, Importers, Boston". According to the seller, it's 80mm across. Reading more critically, the glass is 8cm across, and 19 cm long... Anyway, it's a Petzval thingy, without aperture. Maybe I should cut an opening in the sleeve (it's got a focusing rack) and make a slot for waterhouse stops? It won't interfer with the engraving, at least... Focal length seems (quick examination, I'll measure it tomorrow) to be around 18-22cm.

    The next one was a surprise. I read up on it in the Vade Mecum before bidding, and thought I got something I could use on a reasonably-sized camera.
    Not so. The Ross Cabinet No. 2 is a monstrum! It's a Petzval too, definitely no RR as the Vade Mecum says. Again, the seller's "85mm" is across the glass, not the hood... Focal length around 25cm, max aperture 3.5 - which, I hasten to add, the seller didn't say. I expected an "Extra Rapid" RR, about f:6...

    So my lens collection has increased by 5 kg. It now outweighs my camera collection, which is extremely bad since I've promised not to buy any more cameras this year after the Carbon Infinity!

    Still, Maybe a "Cabinet size" wet plate camera could manage to sneak below the radar...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,730
    Wow.

    What was this, a concert hall sized magic lantern lens?

  3. #3
    jimgalli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tonopah Nevada
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,401
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    155
    Ole, I think the AT Thompson imported ones are Darlot. I have a similar magic lantern lens but it's more like 15" f4. I've resisted the temptation to put an aperture in because it's one less decision to make. If I use that lens it will definitely be a head with extremely shallow depth.


    Yousef Khanfar

    Wish you were in USA. I now have 3 of the big #4 Century's and need to get rid of a couple of them!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

  4. #4
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    Ole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    9,281
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    31
    Jim, I have a question for you...

    How the Hell* do you mount these lenses to a camera????

    I have three Great Big Plate Cameras with Universal Iris Mount, but even the biggest one has no chance with these mosters! Even the rigid front of the 24x30cm camera looks like it's sagging!

    Or do you mount a camera to the lens???

    *"Hell" is not an epiteth, but a station on the railway Northwards from Trondheim, quite close to Værnes Airport. One particular sign at that station is very popular with tourists - it says "Hell Station - Gods Expedition".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

  5. #5
    Whiteymorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,286
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    All right, I have a few of these from before. But nothing like the ones that arrived today!

    The first one is simply marked "A. T. Thompson & Co, Importers, Boston". According to the seller, it's 80mm across. Reading more critically, the glass is 8cm across, and 19 cm long... Anyway, it's a Petzval thingy, without aperture. .
    Ole
    According to my research, the A.T. Thompson Company was a Magic Lantern supplier here in Boston around the turn of the last century. All of the lens marked that way that I have seen have been large. Since I believe my own was once used in a college lecture hall at Harvard, I think the company may have specialized in
    concert hall sized
    machines. I'm happy hear that Jim believes them to be made by Darlot. Mine has only a mark on the flange saying "Made in France", nothing like a maker's mark. I've put mine on a Studio 7A - smallest thing that I could get to hold it. Have fun!

  6. #6
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,281
    Images
    20
    I have a 15.5" lens for my Beseler Slide King, and it is definitely appropriate for projecting a lantern slide in a large hall. In my apartment I can project an image of about 18x24" on the wall with the projector backed up 12 feet using that lens. My shortest lens is 8", and that's starting to get to be a reasonable sized image.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  7. #7
    Dave Wooten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    2,714
    Images
    20
    Dave,

    Maybe you could do a slide show and lecture series in Central Park?

  8. #8
    colrehogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,016
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Ole, I think the AT Thompson imported ones are Darlot. I have a similar magic lantern lens but it's more like 15" f4. I've resisted the temptation to put an aperture in because it's one less decision to make. If I use that lens it will definitely be a head with extremely shallow depth.
    At least your lens has a slot to put stops in. Mine marked A.T. Thompson importers doesn't even have that.
    Diane

    Halak 41

  9. #9
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    Ole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    9,281
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    At least your lens has a slot to put stops in. Mine marked A.T. Thompson importers doesn't even have that.
    Mine doesn't either. So it might become a letterpress...

    But the Ross Cabinet No.2 has a proper iris aperture! I just measured the FL, and found it to be about 300mm, or (more likely) 12". SInce the seller didn't know, and the Vade Mecum was wrong, I didn't know I was buying a 12" f:3.5 Petzval!

    Anyway, I found out that the iris on my 24x30cm plate camera is large enough to hold the lens. Time will show whether it's strong enough, too, or if I'll have to use a second tripod just to hold the lens up. Another good thing is that I have a full set of plate adapters for that camera, so I can use any size film or plate from 6.5x9cm up to the full 24x30cm"!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Jim, I have a question for you...

    How the Hell* do you mount these lenses to a camera????

    I have three Great Big Plate Cameras with Universal Iris Mount, but even the biggest one has no chance with these mosters! Even the rigid front of the 24x30cm camera looks like it's sagging!

    Or do you mount a camera to the lens???

    *"Hell" is not an epiteth, but a station on the railway Northwards from Trondheim, quite close to Værnes Airport. One particular sign at that station is very popular with tourists - it says "Hell Station - Gods Expedition".
    Ole, I thought 'Hell' was german - as in 'Echt Kulmbacher 28 Hell'. A 'light' beer at over 10% alcohol, great idea.
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

    Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin