Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,991   Online: 1092

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Looking for 8x10 film sheaths for plate holders

Hi folks. I'm still kicking myself for screwing-up on a recent bid for some Kodak 8x10 film sheaths: I forgot to "save" the snipe I entered, and as a result the 12 sheaths went for $15.00, :o a fraction of what I was willing to spend. Such is life.

So,...I'm putting my request out to anyone who might have any leads on 6 - 8x10 film sheaths, since I have three N.O.S. Kodak/Graflex 8x10 plate holders that I'd love to be able to start using. Thanks.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't have 8x10 film sheaths, but I do have four 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 film sheaths for plate holders if anyone is interested.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A set showed up today on the auction site: 7620941248

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hmm, anyone have any in half plate? (6.5x4.75)

How easy are they to make? Can someone post a picture?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a few in 5x7" if anyone needs them - they're just a little bit too small for my 13x18cm plate camera holders. I have 13x18 ones too, but I'm using those!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Justin, I think it may be easier to cut some glass to size (be sure to sand off the edges - very sharp otherwise!), put the film onto this with some low-tack glue or do it the "Ole Tjugen way" - use some jam or marmalade as glue.

I think it is the high amount of sugar that is the active ingredient in this. So, maybe just water with a lot of sugar works, too? I may be wrong...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, I think I will do that - found a friendly glass shop today and have ordered 20 for tomorrow morning, so I can start making plates as well as sticking film to them. Hoping 2mm glass will be ok, there is about 5mm space for 2 plates and paper between should be ok, dont seem to be able to get thinner glass.

If you boil the sugar it should work, that makes it go sticky. I might just use spraymount though...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use cheap "clip" frames from IKEA as glass donors - much cheaper than having them cut to size. Fortunately they still come in "standard" sizes - 18x24, 8x10", 24x30, 30x40.

I've got inserts for 6.5x9, 9x12, 13x18 and 18x24 as well as the 5x7". Anything larger than 8x10" I'd much rather stick to a glass plate, at least there's a better chance of it staying flat that way!

The jam trick was an emergency solution when I discovered I'd forgotten to bring the sticky spray. But it does have the advantage of being water soluble as well as "environmentally sound".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you say so, Ole, I'm sure it works. But seems like a waste of perfectly good jam to me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well I now have a big pile of half plate pieces of glass, and 2mm fits ok in the holders. So now its sanding and cleaning, and hoping for no light leaks...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin