Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,218   Online: 902

Thread: HP3 glass plate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HP3 glass plate

I sent a few unexposed HP3 glass plates over to this chap in Sweden as he had been doing some great stuff with home made plates. now, with HP3 he comes up with this lovely image http://www.flickr.com/photos/bosseb/150516798/

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd say that was well given...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Another photo from this package is just uploaded. Had to try how skin tones are treated by the old plates, and I'm happy with the result.

Thanks again, Andrea

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi, Bosseb

Took a look at your flickr alt stuff, really nice. Was curious how you would describe the difference in look between glass and film plates? I've never seen a glass plate print. Also, what's a carbon print? Can one adapt a regular 4x5 camera to use glass plates? What lens were the portraits and the hat shot with? Finaly, how do you make and coat your home-made glass plates? Thanks,

GB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks,
    The main difference between these plates and ordinary film is mostly from age, e.g. the darker spots and the stains on my uploaded photos. Otherwise there's no big difference when the plates are panchromatic. For homemade plates or really old ones that are orthochromatic you get a quite different look caused by the plates being sensitive only to blue light. You can use any view camera for plates, it's just the holders that have to be different. I found mine on ebay.
    I've been using a Radionar 105 lens taken from a 6x9 folding Franka. Not the ultimate 4x5 lens, but I like the look it gives.
    When it comes to coating your own plates there's a good article on alternativephotography: http://www.alternativephotography.co..._dryplate.html

You can read about carbon printing there too: http://www.alternativephotography.co...ss_carbon.html

I hope this is to some help

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin