Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,173   Online: 955

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quick Lens ID Please

All,
    Apparently my copy of the Lens Vade Mecum is taking much longer than expected....So appologies, but I am not able to do my homework before harassing you all.
    The lens that I found is a Perken, Son, and Rayment Optimus f/4. It has an iris type of aperture, ranging from f/4-f/22. It has the typical rack and pinion focusing on it, and is about 9" in focal length.
    Any idea as to its construction ? Anyone have any opinions on it ? I usually would just jump on it, but shipping to my location is rather costly.

Thanks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LVM: "Optimus Quick Acting Portrait f4.0 This was made in 1B, 4.5in for CDV; 2B 5.75in for Cabinet; and 3B 9.0in for Grand Cabinet, the last name suggesting these may just be from a French source. Note that in 1889 only 1B, 2B and 3B were listed but larger sizes were to order"
    Optimus was a name used for more Perkin lenses, this was the only one listed with an F-stop of f4. Maybe someone else can tell more about the lens design and what it may resemble.
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the quick reply. Im going to try to verify that the lens in question is a '3b', as the other focal lengths probably wouldn't cover 4x5 (and Im looking for a 9-11" lens anyway).

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    F/4 in that vintage is likely to be a Petzval or similar. Since a 2b 5.75" is said to be for "cabinet", it's likely to be a Petzval.

A RR of that speed wouldn't have enough sharp center for cabinet size!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Ole; I appreciate your help. The lens seems to be quite worth the shipping at this point, so hopefully in a couple of weeks I will relay a complete report.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin