Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 807

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Loading Film 9x12 Holders

Wondering if people are loading the film with the film sheath installed in the holder or are loading the sheath removed from the holder? I'm trying to find the best way to keep my fingers off the film. Looks like for film removal the best way would be to pop the sheath out to remove the film. My holders have a small indent to allow a fingernail to reach in and push the sheath downward for removal But I've having a problem putting the sheath back without pushing on the top corners to get them under the lip. And that puts my fingers on the film. These things are sort of a PITA compared to new film holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take the sheaths out of the holders, load the film, then pop them back in. I can get them in by putting in the bottom first, pushing down and popping it into the holder - I am holding the sheaths across the top two corners between thumb and forefinger.

To get the shealth out without touching the film, hold the holder vertically with the open part of the sheath uppermost. Angle the holder slightly such that the sheath/film would fall out (were it not clipped in) and give the holder a sharp (not too hard!) rap on its bottom edge and the top part of the sheath should pop out. (I hope that made sense, but practice in the light)

I actually find these easier to load than modern ones. I suppose it is because these were the first LF holders I loaded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I definitely removed the sheaths when loading my Voigtlander AVUS 9x12.

Now I have a Kawee Patent Etui 9x12 and I find the fit of the holders is MUCH tighter. I have to cut some film first to see the best way, though I think the sheaths will have to come out.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never seen a holder (sample: Voigtlander, Contessa-Nettel, KW, and Ica/Zeiss-Ikon Ideal types) that would allow loading the film into the sheath with the sheath in the holders. The KW holders are the closest; in the light, I might be able to work a sheet into the film sheath while it was in the holder, though I very much doubt I could do it in the dark. The problem is that the end of the film (barely) runs under the edge of the lip that retains the sheath on one end or the other, while needing to go under the fold at the edge of the sheath -- which requires the film to be flat and curved at the same time, a geometric improbability of high order...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never taken the sheaths out to load. Lucky? I can't think of any other explanation. I have a dozen 9x12 holders of various makes and ages, but most of them load without any real trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I finally got the film (Efke 25 from J&C) loaded. I did remove the sheaths and now see that with my holders you would need to. I was very surprised with the results. That old Rodenstock's Extra-Rapid Aplanat 135mm F7.7 is actually sharp. Not sure of the camera type as I can't find any name on it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin