Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,435   Online: 955

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Plate holder madness

In an attempt to get hold of some plate holders for my 6.5x9cm KW Patent Etui, I bought a boxfull of plate holders on German ebay.

The attempt was successful, I got nine fine KaWee holders in great shape!

So now I have most of a boxfull of plate holders which I just don't need...

Instead of putting them in the "classifieds", I decided to mention them here:

Stereo plate holders:
    5x Zeiss Ikon 721/004, 6x13cm plates.
    1x Ica 721/001, 4.5x10.7cm plates.
    3x nameless, 4.5x10.7cm plates, very small holders without flange.

10x15cm - one holder, flange along both sides, no flange on bottom.
    9x12cm: Several, various designs. I'm keeping the "millionenfalz" ones, they fit my Voigtländers and Rodenstock

4.5x6cm: Several shiny ones, marked "EGLÉ Breveté SGDG", no flange.
    A couple of Ernemann ones, with flanges.
    Several Ica ones, some marked "721 33", some "721 14". The "33" look similar to the Ernemanns.
    A lot of nameless ones, some with the "crinkle finish" similar to my best Voigtländer-compatible 9x12cm holders. Same flanges too - maybe I should look for a 4.5x6cm plate camera instead?

I'm not trying (hard) to sell these, but if anyone has a "need" for them they can have them. If anyone has information about them, that would be welcome too!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi cousin...

I have two packets of (almost) 100 year old glass plates (Gevaert and Lumiere) that are 9x12 in size. Would they fit in one of your holders ? Would the holder then fit in one of my 4x5 cameras (even with the help of a home-made adaptor) ?? Then I would surely be interested, because the only other way I thought of using them in-camera would be to use double-sided tape and stick them on 4x5 holders (fidelity), but that's a drag...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    George,

I also have a nice Linhof plate-holder-adapter for international (or spring) back 4x5", with matching plate holder. Or perhaps a "real" Linhof Universal film&plate holder "mit Auswerfer" for 9x12cm film or plates?

I use some 9x12cm plates myself, but mostly in 9x12cm plate cameras...
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    George, why not spend $25-100 on a decent 9x12 plate camera? Probably cheaper than adapting to a 4x5 camera.

Ole if you ever have any for the 9x12 KW Patent Etui for sale I'd like to know Actually, I do have 5 holders for it which should be enough for most days but I haven't tested them yet.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mike, I'm not really the old camera collecting type. But I would gladly give 25-50 bucks for a working camera that will expose my plates. Do you have a suggestion ?

On the other hand, I can borrow an adapter from my cousin Ole (if he is so kind as to lend it to me) and shoot them with my beloved Super Technika... After all, it's just two boxes and they will not last forever... after they have been shot, I won't have anything to do with the 9x12 camera.

Dear Ole, will you lend me an adapter that I can use on my Linhof 4x5 with the glass plates ? On my part, I can offer you a series of nice prints that will come from these plates a while after I use them...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sure George, send me your address and I'll send you the adapter and a 9x12 plate holder. I'll even test it first.
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    Ole if you ever have any for the 9x12 KW Patent Etui for sale I'd like to know Actually, I do have 5 holders for it which should be enough for most days but I haven't tested them yet.
    Mike, I think I do. I'll look through the stack - I assume they look about the same as the 6.5x9 holders, only bigger? And won't fit the Voigtländers correctly?
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ole, sounds like your quest to find proper plate holderes were a bit more succesful than mine.
    Try locating Thornton Pickard bookcase style holders in 5x7, LOL. Sure, there's no shortage of quarter, half, and full plate sized holders, but nothing in 5x7. Oh, and don't get me started on full plate holders to fit Cycle Graphics - a gazillion different variations in holder styles out there, but none fits the camera in question properly (having spent 40USD for a single holder just to find out it won't fit can most certainly ruin one's day).

Cheers,
    Chris
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Chris, 13x18cm bookstyle holders are very common in Europe. Unfortunately they come in about 100 different external sizes, only one of which will fit any given camera. I was fortunate enough to get a 13x18 plate camera with four matching holders. Three of the holders can take 5x7" film inserts, in the fourth one they will slip. Apart from that I can find no difference between them, even all internal measurements are the same!
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are similar to the Voigtlanders, but I am told they are a little shorter. I don't have a Voigtlander holders to compare though.

The three original KW holders I own have spring loaded tabs that pop out when you pull the dark slide to remind you the plate is exposed. Nifty!
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin