Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,102   Online: 803

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

More plate madness - using Holography plates?

I've just got hold of three dozen 4x5" holography plates, Agfa-Gevaert Holotest 10E75.

Now I don't really want to start with holography. Old plate cameras are "madness" enough!

So does anyone know if, and how, these can be used for photography? I assume they are very slow and very high contrast, but I also assume this can be remedied with appropriate processing.

BTW, they'll be used two at a time in a Linhof Universal 4x5" film and plate holder, most likely in a Speed Graphic, and vrey likely with an assortment of strange old (barrel) lenses.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You're sick Ole, sick sick sick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    You're sick Ole, sick sick sick.
    Wrong! Ole's not sick, he's clever.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Wrong! Ole's not sick, he's clever.
    You think there's a difference?
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    You think there's a difference?
    Absolutely! They're very different. Understand, though, that being clever doesn't preclude being sick too. And becoming sick doesn't induce cleverness in the naturally dull.

Cheers,

Dan

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've long wondered the same thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know much but... there seems to be several types, with both blue, green, red and pancro sensitive emulsions. I can't see why they wouldn't be able to be used as normal plates as they seem to have a daylight spectrum sensitivity. The developer I found looks rather like a normal B/W developer to a non-chemist: http://www.holokits.com/jd-2_holography_developer.htm. Why not give it a go if you have a bunch of the plates lying around.

Be our expert guinea pig and report back of your experiences at the mountains of madness.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My impression is that the ortho and panchromatic plates are the same sorts of emulsions used for ortho and panchromatic films and plates designed for pictorial use, and that conversely ordinary films and plates can be used for holography.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think they will just be very fine grain and slow - to get the holographic effect you need resolution of the order of the wavelength of light. They might not be very contrasty necessarily. I did a very short course once but it was very many years ago and i forget. Seem to remember using a red laser, which would be the cheapest option, so presumably most are red sensitive.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    By searching around holography sites, I've learned that the plates are red-sensitive (almost into short IR!) and almost green-blind. So DBI looks like the way to go.

They also resolve 3000 lppm, although no lens can produce that resolution. But the resolution has to be around the wavelength of light for holography, so that shouldn't have been a surprise to me (600nm = 0.6 micrometer = 6/10000 mm, or 1666 lpm, 3333 lppm).
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin