Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,234   Online: 826

Thread: plate thickness

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

plate thickness

Can someone who has held a glass plate (not I) tell me the average thickness of glass and if possible the usable range of thickness for 9x12cm plate holders?

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Around 1.5mm the one I have lying around.

If you are making your own it seems that its hard to buy glass thinner than 2mm (picture glass) - when my new ground glass arrives I am going to try to align it for this.

The range depends on the holder design I guess - 1-2mm should be ok in general, but ground glass alignment might be an issue.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Matt,

1.6-1.8mm including gelatine on half a dozen I just measured.

Register should not be a problem as most plate-holders push the plates forwards against the front of the holder, i.e. any variation is behind the plane of focus.

My Gandolfi plate holders will take anything reasonable, probably up to 2.5mm, maybe even 3mm, while my Linhof film/plate holders (all sizes) look to be good for just over 2mm.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The ASA diminsions from 1944 were from 1.2mm to 1.5mm thickness.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

liquid emulsion on glass

Thank you, fellows. That helps enormously. I'm considering coating Fujifilm liquid emulsion onto glass. Anyone ever tried it?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    My Gandolfi plate holders will take anything reasonable, probably up to 2.5mm, maybe even 3mm, while my Linhof film/plate holders (all sizes) look to be good for just over 2mm.
    The Linhof Universal Film&Plate holders, 9x12cm, won't take "modern" Slavich glass plates. They're just a little too thick.

The same plates fit easily in most, but not all, my old 9x12cm metal plate holders for 9x12cm cameras (Voigtländer holders are fine, some others are not).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meltronic View Post
    Thank you, fellows. That helps enormously. I'm considering coating Fujifilm liquid emulsion onto glass. Anyone ever tried it?
    g'day mel, i tried a couple as well as acetate and tracing paper, all kinds of issues to overcome,

haven't had time to get back to it, but i'm thinking the results need not be 'perfect' the process/materials should add a new/different dimension to the imaging, else why bother

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin