Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,816   Online: 989

Shooter
    4x5 Format

empire state view camera

Hello,

Would a Kodak Empire State view camera serve good as a wet collodion glas plate camera?

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Early Empire State cameras were made for dry plates, but later ones were made for film.

If the camera is an earlier one, the supports for the rear standard should be strong enough to keep the back plumb (vertical) under the load of the glass weight. However, the later cameras designed for film may not have as strong a support.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the Empire State cameras to tell the difference between the earlier and later cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Within reason, just about any view camera can be used for wet plate. What size is the camera you are considering?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hmm, i dont really know how old the camera is.

Maybe you can tell from the pictures if its a newer or elderly one.

Kerik, The size is 11x14. I have whatched your collodion stuff, really neat and nice. Maybe you have some other tips on a good camera.

Check it out on ebay, if you promise not to bid

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMPIRE-STATE-No1...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Johannes,

No worries, I have too many cameras as it is. That particular camera needs lots of work, as I'm sure you noticed. Plus, it's missing the extension rail and I think you'll find 19.5 inches will not be enough at times.

My question is, why do you want 11x14? If you've not done collodion before, I'd suggest you start smaller; 8x10 or less. Things get trickier as the plate size increases. I shoot 8x10, 11x14 and 14x17 but by far most of my collodion work is 8x10. I really enjoy working this size and there are of course many more 8x10 cameras available for not too much money. Since that camera does not come with a holder, you will have to track one down. If you can find an 11x14 dry plate holder, you can use that for wet plate. Otherwise, you can adapt an 11x14 film holder to hold plates a bit smaller, say 10x12 or so. But any kind of holder this size won't be cheap.

Good luck!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want a project camera (the ebay one you mention looks quite a lot like a "project") you can have my Korona 8x10 for the shipping... But that also needs a handy-man. I don't have the time or resources for it now, and I'd rather see it working than gathering dust in a corner.

I think wetplates is a "bit" more involved compared to normal LF, so if I would do it, I'd start out a bit smaller, 5x7 or 8x10. They are slightly easier to handle.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 10-25-2006 at 02:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: A few corrections
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmmm...

I've got two wet plate holders here, for 18x24cm plates with inserts to reduce the size to 13x18cm and 9x12cm. They are really complete camera backs, so fitting one with a ground glass and using the other one for plates should work fine.

Anybody in need of a "project"?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I believe there's a generous, give-away mood in here tonight...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jerevan .. Pm sent.

Ole, would a 18x24 fit a 8x10 camera?

Cheers Johannes

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin