Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,323   Online: 937

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole Plate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It might be fun to see what would happen if I masked off my 8X10 ground glass to 6.25 X 10
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cool, thanks. I couldn't remember the numbers but someone told me that once. I ahve no clue what format they were thinking of.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann View Post
    Personally, I kinda like the idea of the 7x11 format. Big enough to yield nice contact prints, but small enough to carry in the field.
    One would think. As the otherwise happy owner of a 7x11 Eastman No. 2, which is the most commonly seen model in that format, I regret to report that the design is different from and much heavier than that of the rest of the series. You'd expect it to come in somewhere close to the 8x10, but in fact it weighs about 15 pounds, and is really bulky to boot. It helps that the old holders are very lightweight, but by the time you add a lens and some holders it's a real bear to lug in the field.

If you can find a 7x11 back, it may be worth having an adapter back made for a much lighter 8x10.

That said, it is a lovely format...
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 11-16-2006 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Delayed reaction: Kerry, it would be really cool to see a 7x11 back built or adapted for your ARCA SWISS system - son of Franken-ARCA!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Delayed reaction: Kerry, it would be really cool to see a 7x11 back built or adapted for your ARCA SWISS system - son of Franken-ARCA!
    Oren,

You read my mind. That's exactly what I was thinking - a 7x11 conversion for my ARCA-SWISS. Although, I was thinking of calling it the Bride of Franken-ARCA.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    It might be fun to see what would happen if I masked off my 8X10 ground glass to 6.25 X 10
    Funny you say that Donald, ever since you first mentioned it some time ago the idea has stuck with me. Been thinking about making a spliter board to fit the 8x10 Korona so that I could make 6.25 x10 and now thinking about another to make 5x8 with as well. 2 5x8's on a sheet of 8x10 would be fun, just like 2 4x10's were. Will have to stop by and pick up some hobby board for this weekend. The 4x10 was not hard to make, so 1 for 5x8 and another for the 6.25x10 and then ....

For some reason the 8x10 just never felt right to me format wise...love the old Korona, the old lens, etc...just not the format. 5x7 on the other hand is just so sweet..love the format....go figure.
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    The first commercial photographic act that I will commit after hitting the lottery, is to call Gandolfi and have them make me a new full-plate camera and a dozen DDs for film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    The first commercial photographic act that I will commit after hitting the lottery, is to call Gandolfi and have them make me a new full-plate camera and a dozen DDs for film.
    Buy two and we`ll have one each.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to try the same proportions (roughly) as full-plate, get a 18x24cm film holder and a pack of film. The holders are the same size as 8x10" holders, indeed it's the "continental" version of the same. Just like 9x12cm and 4x5" the holders are the same, but the film proportions are very different.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Buy two and we`ll have one each.
    *cough*buy three*cough*cough*
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin